Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 840 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default My nu elck syn sin Clock

If there is a better name for this clock, that's just one reason I'm here. Although that phrase brings up lots of Google hits for examples of this clock. I've read the several rough translations of the inscription from the clock. Interesting.... curious. I liked it and felt lucky that the only other bidder didn't want to tick off one of his customers (me)... he dropped out after the first bid.
    So now for better or worse I've got it and I'm wondering what the membership thinks about these clocks. Also looking for information on the movement. Age for one.

Currently I've not got it to keep running. When I first looked at the back of the movement it looked like someone had spread butter all over the back. I wiped it off just to get a better look and my rag had a glob of a yellow, greasy looking substance on it. I'm hoping you all will tell me it didn't belong there.

So here it is

Regards
    Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8785.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	129632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8786.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	129633

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: BuddyC01)

Buddy,
    The clock is a Zaanse clock or a Zaandam usually made in Holland. The most prominent maker was Warmink made under the Wuba name as well. It appears that your movement was made in Germany.
    They date from the 1950's....60's.
    Use the search function on the MB for Zaandam clock. They are nice clocks. They feature Atlas holding the world and the crest of some major Dutch cities.
    The Zaandam clock is named after the originals which were designed and manufactured
    between 1675 and 1725 by several clock-making families who had settled in the
    [ ]Zaansestreek,

a region bordering the small Zaan River just north of Amsterdam.
    The motto
    ["NU ELCK SYN SIN"[/F] on the clock's bronze fret piece is Middle Dutch for "Now to each his own."
    [HTH
    Last edited by Jay; 05-01-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: ADD WORDS

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: Jay)

These clocks are not uncommon and are usually reasonably priced. Your movement is dated "69" for 1969. They were available in 30 hour and 8 day models.

Best,

Richard T.

Registered user.

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: Richard T.)

Thanks!

Are they marked 30 hrs or 8 days?

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: orlimarko)

Quote Originally Posted by orlimarko View Post
    Are they marked 30 hrs or 8 days?
    No they aren't marked. The size of the weights is the first thing that you notice. The 30 hour weights are much smaller than the 8
    day ones. The cases of the 30 hour clocks are also considerably smaller.

Best,

Richard T.

Blog Entries

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: Richard T.)

i have one of these clocks, brought last year at auction for £30. I found out that they were made in three different sizes, mine being medium at approx 20 inches, they are commonly referred to as an atlas clock, one thing i noticed with mine is the world globe is in brass and not coloured blue i have not found another one like it. i posted it on this site last year, they are really good time keepers. Also my fob is not behind the glass window. i think they are a nice clock.

Registered user. Russell Dickson's Avatar

It is actually called a "Zaandam Zaanse" clock. They were made by the most famous clockmaker in the netherlands named Warmink Wuba. These clocks are also termed "Wuba" clocks by us collectors. Yours looks similar to one in my clock collection, which is in fact from 1940. This was a popular style clock and was made until the company went out of business. If you look at the figue of Atlas on the top you can tell the age from it. If he is holding a wood world than it is an earlier model 1940's or so. These clocks were made and manufactured in the netherlands. There should be a royal seal on the door to the case indicating so. These clocks are pretty common and range in value, they are no longer made however, but parts can be obtained.

"Nu elck Syn Sin" means now every gets what they want, in loose translation in Dutch

Registered user. Russell Dickson's Avatar

Default Re: My nu elck syn sin Clock (RE: Russell Dickson)

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Dickson View Post
    It is actually called a "Zaandam Zaanse" clock. They were made by the most famous clockmaker in the netherlands named Warmink Wuba. These clocks are also termed "Wuba" clocks by us collectors. Yours looks similar to one in my clock collection, which is in fact from 1940. This was a popular style clock and was made until the company went out of business. If you look at the figue of Atlas on the top you can tell the age from it. If he is holding a wood world than it is an earlier model 1940's or so. These clocks were made and manufactured in the netherlands. There should be a royal seal on the door to the case indicating so. These clocks are pretty common and range in value, they are no longer made however, but parts can be obtained.

"Nu elck Syn Sin" means now every gets what they want, in loose translation in Dutch
    Just as a side note this clock was also called the "Rich mans Clock" by the Dutch