Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 926 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Howard Miller Wall Clock Chime Question

Hi all, clock newbie here, I just got a lovely Howard Miller David wall clock (620-234) and I carefully hung it and removed the foam from inside, and the clock started running immediately and chiming. I set the time using the minute hand counterclockwise as directed, and moved the chime silencer lever to silent, as I do not need a chime usually. The clock has five chime rods. My question is, why does it chime constantly when I move the chime lever to "chime"? Not all the rods do, just the three that gong the hour, like a consistent hour gong, over and over. Like, it chimed probably 20 times and would only stop when I moved the lever back to "silent". It has the Westminster chime. I probably won't use the chime much if any, but just wondering why it chimes constantly until I moved the lever to "silent". It is brand new, and so maybe it just needs to operate in the "chime" mode for awhile? I just was afraid to let it do that and chime so many times, thought it might wear something out. Otherwise, seems to be doing just fine and operating well *fingers crossed*. After a day or so of operating, (with chime on silent mode), the clock seems to be doing fine, has a nice tick tock sound, and keeps pretty good time..I am going to let it operate for about awhile on "silent" mode and then maybe try the chime again in a day or so. Also, if I want to move the time forward slightly, like by two minutes, can I do that safely by just moving the minute hand forward? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions for a newbie like me!
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 03-04-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: remove link

Default Re: Howard Miller Wall Clock Chime Question (RE: JakeIndy)

Jake,
    It should not continually chime. Only at the 1/4 hours (Westminster tune) and strike on the hour. The reason the directions say to set it counter-clockwise is to keep the chime sequence from getting out of sync. However, it is fine to set it or move the minute hand forward at any time. If the chime sequence does get out of sync, it will automatically re-set within one hour. Let us know if it does not straighten out.

Will
    Will Walker (WOW)

Hello and welcome to the NAWCC message board.

It's o.k. to move the hands forward slightly to set the correct time.

Since your clock is brand new you should contact either the seller or Howard Miller so that they can correct your problem. You don't want to void your warranty by attempting to "fix" it .

Again, Welcome.

Best,

Richard T.

Default Re: Howard Miller Wall Clock Chime Question (RE: Richard T.)

Thanks, I tried switching on the chime mode today again, and the clock chimed Westminster, and then gonged single times over and over, without stopping. Probably about 15 times before I finally switched the chimer off. The clock seems to work fine otherwise, I will call the tech support at HM and see what they think, I hope there's not a major problem because it is brand new.
    Last edited by JakeIndy; 03-04-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Is there an easy way to get the dial off? Your rack is not raising. Probably an easy fix, but you need access to the front of the movement.

Default Re: Howard Miller Wall Clock Chime Question (RE: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Is there an easy way to get the dial off? Your rack is not raising. Probably an easy fix, but you need access to the front of the movement.
    Well, I don't know anything about clocks, what is the rack? The clock is brand new and was a gift, so I'd be afraid to try and remove the dial or anything like that. When I move the lever to "chime", it initially does the Westminster then starts single bonging, using three of the five chime hammers, yesterday I let it chime about 18 times before I moved the chime lever to "silence" because I was trying to see if it would stop chiming on its own..I'm going to call HM tech support and ask them...I'm hoping it is a simple solution that I could do that wouldn't require any major fix. The clock is running fine otherwise, and I probably won't be using the chime anyway, so do you think this issue would not affect the operation of the clock otherwise? Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by JakeIndy View Post
    The clock is running fine otherwise, and I probably won't be using the chime anyway, so do you think this issue would not affect the operation of the clock otherwise? Thanks again everyone
    Your clock is not working properly. Better to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Something you can try is to: take the clock off the wall, carefully lay it on its LEFT side on a carpeted floor or table padded with a towel, jar the case against the padded floor or table not to hard. Put it back on the wall and give it another try. Don't worry about hurting your clock, there's no telling how many 'Gs' that baby has taken on the trip to your house! The striking rack could be stuck and this will occasionally free it up.

Many new clocks have issues due to shipping trauma.

FYI, companies can be much slower to settle a claim if you wait past the date when the shipper can no longer be held responsible for the damage. This varies but is usually between 10 and 30 days. If you make a report within this period the company will usually send you a replacement right away. Outside the period they will replace or repair, whichever they consider the best option money-wise.

Hope this helps, Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Howard Miller Wall Clock Chime Question (RE: Willie X)

JakeIndy,

The person who gave you the clock thought enough of you to give you a very nice and "not inexpensive" wall clock. Out of respect to that person, you should make a reasonable effort to have either the manufacturer or seller provide you with a clock that works properly and at no additional cost to either you or the buyer.

Regards,
    John