Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 561 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Daniel Dakota Clocks

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the Daniel Dakota name came from. Is it a person? I know Sears has sold them. I recently found a beautiful Daniel Dakota Westminster Wall Clock at a local Thrift Store in which I only paid $12.95. What a find! It is in perfect condition, case and all. It is battery operated. I collect clocks (mostly antique)and I have never had one called Daniel Dakota. I like to know about the clocks I "adopt" and I cannot seem to find anything on the "name" Daniel Dakota and *where* this name came from.
    Thank-you~

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: Cuckoo4Cuckoos)

Probably a brand name, seems to be mostly Quartz clocks from what I've seen. I have a small apple shaped Quartz clock with "Country Breeze" on the dial.
    Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: chimeclockfan)

Welcome to the Message Board, cuckoo...

Yupp, Sears Canada still offers "Daniel Dakota" clocks - lots of them,
    even battery operated cuckoos with "real carvings" and "cuckoo calls against a
    background of running water".
    And, most surprizing, Daniel Dakota is a registered trademark. Oh well.

Jurgen
    Jurgen "tempus nostrum"

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: soaringjoy)

I think that it's just a catchy sounding trade name. Haven't seen anyone who knows for sure. I thought at first that it was a famous designer but I don't think that is the case. J.C. Penny sells them too.

Willie X

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckoo4Cuckoos View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the Daniel Dakota name came from. Is it a person? I know Sears has sold them. I recently found a beautiful Daniel Dakota Westminster Wall Clock at a local Thrift Store in which I only paid $12.95. What a find! It is in perfect condition, case and all. It is battery operated. I collect clocks (mostly antique)and I have never had one called Daniel Dakota. I like to know about the clocks I "adopt" and I cannot seem to find anything on the "name" Daniel Dakota and *where* this name came from.
    Thank-you~
    Hello I just bought one for ten dollars in an antique store it is a nice wood quartz clock well made . The back of my clock lists a barcode from Walmart and a danieldakota website. The clock was also made in China. I would not have bought if it were not made of solid wood and sculpted ornately. As for what year it was made Anything with a bar code indicates late seventies onward.

OMG....the future of clock collecting?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    OMG....the future of clock collecting?

They have to start somewhere, RM. Perhaps it will enhance the appreciation of a true antique wind up clock.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    They have to start somewhere, RM. Perhaps it will enhance the appreciation of a true antique wind up clock.
    I can only fervently hope you are correct but I truely doubt the outcome you predict. If one has even an inkling of appreciation of the antique, you wouldn't be buying stuff like a plastic battery operated Yosemite Sam clock or whatever they're called to start.

When it comes to clock collecting, the advertising jingle "there's more for your life at Sears" doesn't apply.

RM

Blog Entries

Count your blessings that the innumerable collectors of department store, plastic, offshore clocks, are NOT after the same stuff that you are after!

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    Count your blessings that the innumerable collectors of department store, plastic, offshore clocks, are NOT after the same stuff that you are after!
    Well, I guess I sort of enjoy finding like minded collectors. One of the supposed benefits of the NAWCC?

Let me hasten to add, I don't always equate age with worthy. As people know, I've posted some more recent things that I thought had merit. And some of the recent discussions on the MB regarding quality repros.

For the heck of it I googled Hannah Montana or whatever those things are called. More images came up than when I google the maker of real clocks. And the prices on line! For what was asked for some of them, you really could buy a nice 100+ year old American clock. OMG...the future of clock collecting??

I did find one where the description was I thought very expected and appropriate and made me laugh:

Daniel Dakota Quartz Wetminter Chime Wall Clock

Yep, that's perfect. They're "wetminter".

RM

Daniel Dakota Quartz Wetminter Chime Wall Clock
    Oh, doesn't beat old 70's ads that cite "Westminister" chimes for some mediocre Hermle/Urgos grandmother clock.
    Justin A. Olson

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: chimeclockfan)

I suppose everyone still needs a clock of some sort in their home. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the ugly looking large wall clocks (2 1/2 feet in diameter) that I get for repair when their cheap Chinese quartz movements won't push those heavy hands any more. So, I put another cheap Quartz movement in their clock to buy them another 5 years or so (hey, I gotta eat).
    I guess the problem is in designers that don't want to design around an antique clock, when they can find Chinese cr*p that fits better with their sense of decor.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the ugly looking large wall clocks (2 1/2 feet in diameter) that I get for repair when their cheap Chinese quartz movements won't push those heavy hands any more.
    I see those nearly everywhere I go, my old clinic had one at the reception desk. As if the Waltham/Durfee hall clock not that far away wasn't big enough.

There's also a thing for those wrought iron Quartz clocks, sometimes with pseudo pendulums hanging beneath the dial. One example I saw at a restaurant had a broken pendulum, yet no one seemed to notice!
    Justin A. Olson

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the ugly looking large wall clocks (2 1/2 feet in diameter) that I get for repair when their cheap Chinese quartz movements won't push those heavy hands any more. So, I put another cheap Quartz movement in their clock to buy them another 5 years or so (hey, I gotta eat).
    Harold,

I've run across a few of these clocks that were brand new and wouldn't lift the hands up the dial. I use the "C" movements that Merritts sells, with the all brass hand-shafts and extra hand spacing, with good results. I rarely have a turn-down at about 75 to 85 bucks a pop.

I did a mosaic tile one last summer (pool clock). It was actually very nice, never seen a clock made with real grouted ceramic tile! This one probably weighed a little over 20 pounds.

On topic, anyone ever figure out who, or what, Daniel Dakota is?

Willie X

Default Re: Daniel Dakota Clocks (RE: Willie X)

On topic, anyone ever figure out who, or what, Daniel Dakota is?
    Probably just a made up name. I see made up names on many of these Quartz clocks including Landon 1895 and a London based maker on what is obviously a cheap Quartz clock made to look old.
    Justin A. Olson