Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1162 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Smile Ridgeway Grandfather Clock

The tag on my "new" Ridgeway Grandfather clock reads as follows:

model-w1 201
    movement-EW
    Finish-Cher
    Serial #1236

Can someone tell me more about this clock? When was it made? What was the retail price? What does EW stand for?

I noticed this clock sitting at the Salvation Army thrift store with a $495 price tag on it. I decided to ask the manager if she would take an offer and offered her 200.00 for it. She took it so I have my first "real" grandfather clock.

The clock is complete except for the door key and it may have had a winding crank but not for sure about that. I have'nt put the weights in because the pendulum guide seems to be bent. The pendulum isn't as ornate as I would have thought so I am wondering if it is a replacement. I am thinking that I should have it cleaned and serviced since I don't know it's history.

I will post pictures as soon as my camera charges up

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: TexasTim)

Here are some pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ridgewayclock 011.jpg   ridgewayclock 014.jpg   ridgewayclock 015.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Good price, Tim. There may be some clues on the back of the movement, if it's a Hermle, to help date it. Having it serviced is a good idea, since you don't have it's service history.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: harold bain)

Hi, Tim.
    Got your message.
    Nice clock.

Sorry, I don't seem to find your clock listed in any of my 3 Ridgeway catalogs, so it probably came out in between the years that my catalogs represent (1967, 1977 & 1997).

I'm a little mystified by the model number...I'm not sure if you intended the space between w1 and 201 or not; in other words, I can't tell if it's model 201 or model 1201. But neither number is listed in my catalogs.

All of the Ridgeway models I've encountered either had 3-digit numbers or 4-digit numbers, and the 4-digit numbers seem to have just started in the 1990s and seem to usually (but not always) begin with the first two digits signifying the year (for example, model 9127, 9602, etc).

There are other clocks in the 1977 catalog which refer to the EW movement, but there is no explanation of what the letters stand for.

The majority of the clocks in the 1977 catalog have model numbers that range between 112 up to 198, with just a few toward the end with model numbers 220, 230, 233, 304, 308, 314, and 337. So, it would seem that the "100-range" of numbers were the predominant model numbers in the 1970s, with a few "prototypes" or early entries in the "200-range" and "300-range." If your model number is 201 (rather than 1201), I would venture to say that your clock came out shortly after 1977, perhaps some time in the 1980s. But this is just a guess.

If I run across any additional info I'll let you know. Sorry I wasn't of more help.

Good luck!
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Thanks for looking for me. I appreciate you taking the time. The model as typed on the label is exactly as follows:

Model-W1 201

So i am guessing that it is model 201

I got a nice email from my local clock repair man about having my clock serviced and cleaned so maybe he can fill in some of this mystery.

Hope you have a great weekend and thanks again!

Tim Baker
    Odessa, Texas

Beautiful clock, I am on my second tall case clock, my first was a Seth Thomas, that my exe's in laws have. This is my new one from 1925. I love to hear the clock chime, it has such a rich and mellow sound, makes home feel like home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full clock front.jpg  

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: rlwindle)

Wow. Yours is a beauty. I bet it sounds awesome.

Smile Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: TexasTim)

Today I opened the back panel for a closer look at my clock and found out that it has a urgos movement in it. I am attaching picture of numbers on the movement.

I will also be posting a picture of my torn suspension spring and the brass doohickey (proper term?) that attaches to the pendulum which appears to be bent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ridgewayurgosmovement 004.jpg   ridgewayurgosmovement 005.jpg   ridgewayurgosmovement 001.jpg  

Be careful with that. It was not the best type of movement Urgos made.

And the "brass doohickey" is the pendulum leader.
    Justin A. Olson

MY suspension spring arrived today from Timesavers for my movement but unfortunately it was too thick to fit. : ( So I am back to step one. I feel certain there has to be a parts chart with part numbers for what I need but then again...i have been wrong many times. LOL

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Tim, two ways to make your suspension spring fit. Open up the slit in the suspension post, or file down the suspension spring until it fits. A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would quicky open the slit the small amount needed to fit the suspension, or take enough off the suspension spring to fit it. I would probably thin the spring.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock (RE: harold bain)

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the info! I learn so much from this site!

I've been using a razor blade to open 'em up enough to slide the suspension springs in & then squeezing them back tight after it's in place. I don't know how "beefy" the brass on your clock is.... so perhaps that won't work.

For what little I know, I would be with Harold on thinning the spring. Perhaps if the replacement is that much thicker so that it won't go in without a dremel, it may be that the original spring was much lighter.
    The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked. ~Tillie Olsen, Tell Me a Riddle