Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1253 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890

I have a Waltham ladies watch holding serial # 11645776. It is a grade - Seaside (not sure what that means), balance Breguet Spring, Comment 54 (not sure about this meaning either) Rim shows #4600, case has CWCCO star and moon symbol and Trade Mark, case serial # 1354600. It is a ladies tri-colored gold watch with "Warranted {CRESCENT} 25 Years inside of case.

It is currently not winding up but all movements worked before this part broke. I am researching cost of repairs so that I can place up for sale.

I am looking for any additional information or history that someone on this forum can provide.

Thanks so much and hope everyone is doing well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8929.jpg   DSCF8940.jpg   DSCF8946.jpg   X-mas - watch 043.jpg   X-mas - watch 041.jpg  

DSCF8948.jpg   X-mas - watch 040.jpg   X-mas - watch 036.jpg   DSCF8951.jpg  
    Last edited by Cjspepper; 02-16-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to add photo

Smile Re: American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890 (RE: Cjspepper)

Hi Cjspepper:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

The Seaside grade is a name that Waltham to the grade, denoting the quality of the movement (see the Watch Grades Encyclopedia article) - which is not particularly high.

Comment 54 refers to a note on page 54 of the book Serial Numbers With Description of Waltham Watch Movements, Waltham Watch Co., Waltham, MA, 1954, (commonly referred to as "The Gray Book"), from which the data was extracted to build the data base in which you looked up the information.

The movement was built in about 1903 give or take a couple of years.

The watch case is gold-filled (see the Case Material Encyclopedia article), built by the Crescent Watch Case Co. The #4600 on the rim is merely the last four digits of the case serial number. This was done during manufacturing to keep the parts of the case together prior to final assembly.

It sounds like the mainspring broke, but you'll need an assessment from the person you get to fix it.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890 (RE: Kent)

Sad to know that this is not a very good watch. Maybe not worth fixing.

Default Re: American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890 (RE: Cjspepper)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjspepper View Post
    Sad to know that this is not a very good watch. Maybe not worth fixing.
    Please don't confuse money with value. If owning the watch makes YOU happy, and if owning this watch in its best mechanical condition enhances your pride of ownership, then go for it. You've no obligation to follow investor/collectors. Collect what makes you happy. Simple.
    Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Default Re: American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890 (RE: Bratdaddy@mac.com)

Not really a collector. This was left in a Will from a lady that I used to watch the Antique shows with along with some other jewelry. I have kept it for over 14 years and have recently decided to repair it again and place up for sale. I could use the funds for my kids college fund. I thought that with the unique face, that it would bring something worth fixing and selling. It sounds like it is not worth putting money into. Thanks though.

Blog Entries

Default Re: American Waltham Watch Co. Model 1890 (RE: Cjspepper)

Just to give you an idea what you are looking at to repair the watch if it is just the mainspring, the spring would cost between $10-20, the disassembly, cleaning, oiling and reassembly will be in the $100-150 range.