Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 5028 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    excalibr

Default Cylindre Huit Rubis watch from 1800's?? HELP--need info!!

I have an old pocket watch and I need some help! I would like to identify it so that I can get an idea of where to look if it needs to be fixed. I got this from my grandfather, who got in in WWII over in France or Germany. It is a small, ladies pocket watch made of silver. It has a "ceramic" dial (I think), and the hour/minute hands are made of gold. It is 32mm in diameter and 11mm thick (including the glass cover). The back has a design like a shield surrounded by a circle. The back opens up and there is some writing: "Cylindre huit rubis". There are also 2 openings for winding the clock--one for winding and one for setting. There is also the number "2896" and a diamond with what appears to be a tree with the letter "D" on the right side and another letter on the left--I cannot make out that letter. The back opens once more to expose the inner workings of the watch. The front glass also opens. The dial has Roman numerals with seconds numbers above the Roman numerals (5 is above the I, 30 above the IV, 50 above the X, etc). There is no second hand though!! The watch also has a round "ball" on the top with an open circle for attaching a chain. I can send some pictures if anyone would like to see a pic of the watch. My grandfather passed away before I could ask him details about the watch, but my grandmother said he got it from a bombed out building in Europe! I would LOVE to identify this watch and get AS MUCH information as possible!! I would like to thank everyone in advance for reading this and/or responding! You can reach me at: excalibr@inlink.com OR excalibr67@yahoo.com

excalibr

Default Cylindre Huit Rubis watch from 1800's?? HELP--need info!! (RE: excalibr)

I have an old pocket watch and I need some help! I would like to identify it so that I can get an idea of where to look if it needs to be fixed. I got this from my grandfather, who got in in WWII over in France or Germany. It is a small, ladies pocket watch made of silver. It has a "ceramic" dial (I think), and the hour/minute hands are made of gold. It is 32mm in diameter and 11mm thick (including the glass cover). The back has a design like a shield surrounded by a circle. The back opens up and there is some writing: "Cylindre huit rubis". There are also 2 openings for winding the clock--one for winding and one for setting. There is also the number "2896" and a diamond with what appears to be a tree with the letter "D" on the right side and another letter on the left--I cannot make out that letter. The back opens once more to expose the inner workings of the watch. The front glass also opens. The dial has Roman numerals with seconds numbers above the Roman numerals (5 is above the I, 30 above the IV, 50 above the X, etc). There is no second hand though!! The watch also has a round "ball" on the top with an open circle for attaching a chain. I can send some pictures if anyone would like to see a pic of the watch. My grandfather passed away before I could ask him details about the watch, but my grandmother said he got it from a bombed out building in Europe! I would LOVE to identify this watch and get AS MUCH information as possible!! I would like to thank everyone in advance for reading this and/or responding! You can reach me at: excalibr@inlink.com OR excalibr67@yahoo.com

Default Cylindre Huit Rubis watch from 1800's?? HELP--need info!! (RE: excalibr)

I think I remember from my high school french class many years ago that huit is french for eight (8). So the watch probably has 8 jewels. Tom

I thought that I would add to Gunter's post. Last year, I restored a cylinder escapement watch. I got the movement, not running and was able to fit it to a near to correct time period case. The movement is a Lepine style movement, cylinder escapement, 4 jewel, KW/KS from the back--no markings on the movement or dial. The dial is procelin with no seconds register. When I had the watch disassembled, I found a small etching of 7/7/35 and scribed initials under one of the bridges. I'm assuming it is the year it was finished and the initials of the swiss watchmaker. After I got the watch running, I spent about 6 weeks tweaking the movement to improve the accuracy. Regardless of what I did, the best I can get on it is +/- 10 minutes/day. I finally gave in and am guessing that maybe due to normal wear, it will get no better, or maybe, it was no better than that when it was new. This goes along with Gunter's assumption of accuracy of a cylinder. Had a lot of fun with it, though. Tom