Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2774 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Longines models and serial numbers

I just got a Longines Ultra Chron which I really like, but the serial number seems a bit high. I am pretty sure it is pre 1970. According to Shugart they had only gotten to 15M by the late 60's and mine is a bit over 50M. Is Shugart wrong or is something else going on.

Also this one is marked Flagship and Chronometer. It has the Ultra Chron logo only not the name on the dial. Nothing chronometer like marked inside but my timing machine could find NO position rate differences and its rate is dead nuts.

So what is the story on serial numbering and wqhat was Longines approach to marking watches chronometer back before COSC and what did Flagship mean if anything?

Thanks

Dr. Jon

Default Longines models and serial numbers (RE: Dr. Jon)

I just got a Longines Ultra Chron which I really like, but the serial number seems a bit high. I am pretty sure it is pre 1970. According to Shugart they had only gotten to 15M by the late 60's and mine is a bit over 50M. Is Shugart wrong or is something else going on.

Also this one is marked Flagship and Chronometer. It has the Ultra Chron logo only not the name on the dial. Nothing chronometer like marked inside but my timing machine could find NO position rate differences and its rate is dead nuts.

So what is the story on serial numbering and wqhat was Longines approach to marking watches chronometer back before COSC and what did Flagship mean if anything?

Thanks

Dr. Jon

Default Longines models and serial numbers (RE: Dr. Jon)

I had a Longines "Olympian" with Caliber 6652 movement marked with a serial number in the 51 million range. I emailed Beatrice Donze, museum curator, at Longines and got a very interesting explanation.

The movement was produced in 1973 and sent to Longines-Wittnauer, who apparently marked it Olympian, ostensibly as a special edition for either the 1972 or 1976 Olympics. With the exception of the "Olympian" logo, it is otherwise identical to the first Ultra-Chron model produced in 1967. Beatrice even sent me color photocopies from a 1967 catalogue showing this watch!

I recently acquired another UltraChron with the Olympian logo, also with a 50 million + serial number.

To contact Beatrice, go to the FAQ page at www.Longines.ch. At the bottom is an "I need information on an antique watch" section with a link to a page that will let you contact the Museum Curator. Like Omega and Tissot, Longines offers this at no cost as part of their dedication to customer service. If Beatrice cannot definitively answer your questions, I doubt that anyone can.

Best Regards,
    Matt B

Default Re: Longines models and serial numbers (RE: Dr. Jon)

Did you ever get an answer to your questions?
    By its one-hundredth year, Longines had produced some 15 million watches, Longines 125, 1867-1992, at page 14, Longines, St. Imier, 1997; See also, Jacqueline Henry-Bédat, Une Région, Une Passion, l’horlogerie une Enterprise: Longines, at page 160 Longines, St. Imier, Sept. 1992. The Ultra Chron's certainly do appear with serial numbers that not only place them in the time frame of 1967/8 but also in the 50 millions, as you note on your watch. It would seem that either of two things occurred: Longines' production went into overdrive producing in a brief span of some five years (assuming the Ultra Chron's were produced from late 1967 through about 1972/3) more than twice the production of 100 years of effort or; the numbering system was radically altered. I wondered if there is any information to corroborate any of this and the fact turns out that the latter is most likely correct.

[edit=6120=1172019324][/edit]
    [edit=6120=1172286121][/edit]