Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1784 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions??

I'm looking for recommendations on homemade US cleaning fluid that's solvent based vs. water/ammonia based. The objective is to remove old dried up grease and oil. (clock rotor cores)

I've been using generic wax and grease remover from an autobody supply house. Results are pretty good but not great.

Has anyone tried Ed's Red (equal parts of kerosene, mineral spirits, acetone and tranny fluid) in an US cleaner?

I also read that equal parts of Coleman fuel (naptha) and mineral spirits (stoddard solvent) works well and mimics one of the expensive L&R cleaners?

Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: davefr)

Dave,

Try this thread;

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...Cleaning+Fluid

There are tons of threads on home made solutions. Just search the clock repair forum for "Ultrasonic cleaning" and you will get as may opinions as home brews

Riz

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: rison123)

My personal opinion, it is cheaper to buy the real stuff as opposed to the cost of locating and buying individaul components/chemicals.

It is difficult to locate the various chemicals and then get them in the correct strength.

A gallon of the commercial stuff may seem expensive until you calculate out the amount of uses you get our of a gallon.

I could be wrong since I do not know where to buy chemicals and their associated individual cost.

Your and my time is also valuable, and the transportaion cost of chasing around to find various chemicals.

I also guess if you do not know what you are doing there could be more harm than help to include life and limb plus absorbing and breathing the various things.

So, just order a gallon from Merritts or Timesavers. I bet it will be cheaper and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on homemade US cleaning fluid that's solvent based vs. water/ammonia based. The objective is to remove old dried up grease and oil. (clock rotor cores)

I've been using generic wax and grease remover from an autobody supply house. Results are pretty good but not great.

Has anyone tried Ed's Red (equal parts of kerosene, mineral spirits, acetone and tranny fluid) in an US cleaner?

I also read that equal parts of Coleman fuel (naptha) and mineral spirits (stoddard solvent) works well and mimics one of the expensive L&R cleaners?

Any other suggestions?
    For old dried up grease & oil I'd recommend STARTING with a healthy washing down with brake cleaner/carburetor cleaner. (Do it out of doors; noxious fumes.) After that, use whatever you like to deal with the remainder. My preference continues to be Historic Timekeepers.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: bangster)

I also would recommend the use of the commercial grades. I've done the home brew for a while but all the mixing etc just became tedious to me. Most of these gallon bottles are a 7:1 ratio which last for a while for most people.

Banned

Any other suggestions?
    I just posted the same caution to another thread on the same topic, but it's relevant:

I would advise caution with putting flammable liquids in an ultrasonic tank. The potential for any electrical mishap is considerable, and also be aware that any liquid will become increasingly heated the longer the unit is running. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk.

Thumbs down Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: Thyme)

I feel strange putting clock and watch parts into a water based solution

Banned

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: FredWJensen)

Quote Originally Posted by FredWJensen View Post
    I feel strange putting clock and watch parts into a water based solution
    OK - if you don't feel comfortable with it, then don't do it. Anyone can make a statement based on their 'feelings' but (and I hope you'll pardon the quasi-pun) sometimes 'that just doesn't cut it'...

Using the right solution is often the solution. <sigh> (I know that sounds redundant.)

So first, consider this: please tell me how water based solutions will harm metals.

If L&R ultrasonic cleaning solutions (and other all other solutions known to be effective) aren't water based, then please tell me how they are other-based.

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: Thyme)

I need to use a solvent based cleaner. I've tried ammonia/water based cleaners and they have a strange effect on Telechron fiber based bearing plates. (ie create pivot binding in the plates)

Tonight I tried a homemade L&R #222 substitute. (Naptha, Mineral spirits and Murphy's Oil Soap as a substitute for Oleic Acid.) It cleaned OK but sure does stink!!

Tomorrow I'll try Ed's Red.

I'm not too concerned about the flammability risk because I use a baby food jar of solvent in a 1/2 gallon outer bath of water and never leave it unattended.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    I need to use a solvent based cleaner. I've tried ammonia/water based cleaners and they have a strange effect on Telechron fiber based bearing plates. (ie create pivot binding in the plates)

Tonight I tried a homemade L&R #222 substitute. (Naptha, Mineral spirits and Murphy's Oil Soap as a substitute for Oleic Acid.) It cleaned OK but sure does stink!!

Tomorrow I'll try Ed's Red.

I'm not too concerned about the flammability risk because I use a baby food jar of solvent in a 1/2 gallon outer bath of water and never leave it unattended.
    I think you need help with understanding the use solvents vs. cleaning solutions. Everything has a purpose, but often having the most effective cure lies in the knowledge of what to use and when and how to use it.

I will try to help you and share what I know. But you will need to post photos of the problem part(s) that need cleaning. Then I (and probably other as well) will be able to advise you effectively as to what might work best.

What is "Ed's Red" It brings to mind 'Ethelred The Readiless'...

(I don't know if younger folks today will understand or appreciate that reference.)

The L&R 222 is an excellent cleaning fluid. It is based on Stoddard solvent, a form of mineral spirits.

It's not the water that harms the parts, it the ammonia. I can't believe that people are still cleaning clocks with ultrasounds and aquaeous ammoniated cleaners in the 21st century. Ask ANY fine metals conservator and they will tell you not to expose brass to ammonia under ANY circumstances. Also note also that the only way to completely rinse the ammonia away is with another ultrasonic cleaner.

Take Care!

Rich McCarty, GradBHI & West Dean College

Banned

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: Richmccarty)

Quote Originally Posted by Richmccarty View Post
    The L&R 222 is an excellent cleaning fluid. It is based on Stoddard solvent, a form of mineral spirits.

It's not the water that harms the parts, it the ammonia. I can't believe that people are still cleaning clocks with ultrasounds and aquaeous ammoniated cleaners in the 21st century. Ask ANY fine metals conservator and they will tell you not to expose brass to ammonia under ANY circumstances. Also note also that the only way to completely rinse the ammonia away is with another ultrasonic cleaner.

Take Care!

Rich McCarty, GradBHI & West Dean College
    For those of you who are interested, here's the data sheet detailing what's in that fluid:

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/msds/222Non-AmmoniatedUltrasonicInstrumentCleaningSolution2-24-09.pdf

Banned

I said:

If L&R ultrasonic cleaning solutions (and other all other solutions known to be effective) aren't water based, then please tell me how they are other-based.
    I'll correct myself on this one. I wasn't aware that L&R made a solution that is non-aqueous. It's one of very few, which is why I didn't realize it.

As someone who is new to US cleaning I'm honestly confused by the "ammonia/brass" discussions that I read. I have a Gallon of Astro Clean and its ammoniated and states its for clocks? If ammonia was bad why do companies like L&R etc. sell it for clock cleaning?

Default Re: Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid - Any suggestions?? (RE: Jeff C)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    As someone who is new to US cleaning I'm honestly confused by the "ammonia/brass" discussions that I read. I have a Gallon of Astro Clean and its ammoniated and states its for clocks? If ammonia was bad why do companies like L&R etc. sell it for clock cleaning?
    Because the opinion isn't universal.

Those on on side claim that ammonia will cause minute stress cracks to develop in the brass, eventually causing the clock to disintegrate.

Those on the other side point to the multitude of un-disintegrated clocks that have been cleaned with ammoniated cleaners over the last century or two.

Consequently, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.