Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.


NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1719 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Movado watch problem

    My Movado stopped working about a week ago. I took it to have the battery replaced a mall watch repair stand (I'd previously changed batteries about every 1-2 years and the watch worked fine after that).

    After having the batter replaced, the watch worked fine for about 2-3 hrs. I noticed at about 3 hrs post repair that it was about 5 minutes behind what I set it. I adjusted it (pulled out crown, moved hands forward) to the new time. Then it just stopped.

    I figured the battery was not the issues, so I'd take it back for my money back and send it to the official Movado repair. The problem is that the watch started working again, but of course the wrong time. I then readjusted the time and it stopped again. It starts up hours (or a half day) later, seems to hold the correct time when it's running, but doesn't tolerate adjustment to the correct time.

    Any idea what could be going on here and how to fix it?

  2. #2
    Registered User doug sinclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    11,350
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: milkman777)

    There is one trick you might want to try. Since you have replaced the cell yourself on previous occasions, you might want to remove the cell and give it a good wipe down with a clean tissue, then, without touching the cell with your fingers, re-insert it. Most people who change watch cells handle them with fingers which are, ahem_______ not clean! This can cause the symptoms you describe. If that doesn't work, it sounds as though your watch is in need of servicing. It has nothing whatsoever to do with setting the time. Depending on the movement that your watch is fitted with, the cure is often to replace the movement rather than to repair it. Replacement movements are cheaper than servicing. Your watch may well also require a gasket and a crown, and possibly other items if there is rust.

  3. #3
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: doug sinclair)

    Hi, I don't know the method done by the mall repair stand but unfortunately your watch Movado is not an ordinary watch and replacing new battery like as in taking out the old and inserting the new one is not enough. You have to see a qualified watchmaker to check your watch applying the standard method of electrical tests in a quartz watch. One of this is knowing the current consumption of the whole watch movement. A good watchmaker can tell you the over all condition of your watch just by knowing its power consumption.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: milkman777)

    On any quartz watch stopped, first test the battery, often this can tell you the problem already.
    The mall battery place did not test it, so he is going to lost his new battery and give you money back, I hope he will learned from this.
    As long as quartz watch still running, does not matter fast or slow or stopped and go, the battery is good, the battery will not release energy unstable, in other words, once the power low it will stay low.
    So it only left with mechanical problems, rusted, particles inside, broken pivots... You do not need to test it electronically, unless it complete stopped.
    Replace movement on some Movado can be very expensive, in most case, you will expect paying 1/3 of the watch worth.

  5. #5
    Registered User doug sinclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    11,350
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: Genway)

    I recently replaced a movement (Eta) in a genuine Movado. Cost of the movement to me was $ 26.00 (Cdn.). Over 50% of the movement was plastic! The Museum Sapphire movements on the other hand, CAN be very expensive!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: Genway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Genway View Post
    On any quartz watch stopped, first test the battery, often this can tell you the problem already.
    The mall battery place did not test it, so he is going to lost his new battery and give you money back, I hope he will learned from this.
    As long as quartz watch still running, does not matter fast or slow or stopped and go, the battery is good, the battery will not release energy unstable, in other words, once the power low it will stay low.
    So it only left with mechanical problems, rusted, particles inside, broken pivots... You do not need to test it electronically, unless it complete stopped.
    Replace movement on some Movado can be very expensive, in most case, you will expect paying 1/3 of the watch worth.
    Actually, when they replaced the battery, they let it run for a while before putting the back on. It worked for the first 2-3 hrs and then stopped when I adjusted the time.

    The watch has been working for days now, keeping time, although it's 3 hrs behind the current time. I know that if I adjust it, it will stop. I think the adjustment must be the issue. If it was the movement, it would not work at all or very poorly, one would think.

    I'm not keen on replacing the movement because I know that Movado is a pricey company and it will probably come to 1/2 the price or more of the watch. A relative got it new for me for ~$300 at a TJMaxx - in more expensive stores it can run from $600-$1200, and I think a total replacement of the movement at this point (after 6 years, with scratches on the glass, and considering the purchasing price) is probably not worth it.

  7. #7
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: Genway)

    Quote Originally Posted by Genway View Post
    On any quartz watch stopped, first test the battery, often this can tell you the problem already.
    The mall battery place did not test it, so he is going to lost his new battery and give you money back, I hope he will learned from this.
    As long as quartz watch still running, does not matter fast or slow or stopped and go, the battery is good, the battery will not release energy unstable, in other words, once the power low it will stay low.
    So it only left with mechanical problems, rusted, particles inside, broken pivots... You do not need to test it electronically, unless it complete stopped.
    Replace movement on some Movado can be very expensive, in most case, you will expect paying 1/3 of the watch worth.
    A watch used in 6 years? Still not entitled to an electronic check up? Maybe you are not familiar with this method. Pardon me but the method of replacing the battery only and not checking the electronic function of an expensive watch or even the cheap one is mostly the way of a user and not the watchmaker's. Knowing the consumption of the movement will eliminate suspicion in one particular electronic block if it is normal. And will proceed trouble shooting to the next - the mechanical block. The method mentioned above often makes the customer keep coming back to the mall stand always with the same problem. And if this owner is not willing to replace new movement then the best thing to do is to find an independent but fully equipped and qualified QUARTZ WATCHMAKER. Maybe he can give the service for the Movado in a cheaper cost and doing the right electrical tests it needed.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: le arsi)

    Hi All:
    Most of the $300 "big box store" Movado watches I have replaced cells in have ETA 900-902 series movements in them that you can buy all day long for $10.95 to $20.00, depending on the features. It is a total waste of your time to do anything except replace the movement. If you return the watch to Movado, that's what they will do.
    Best Regards,
    Steve Settle

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: milkman777)

    Quote Originally Posted by milkman777 View Post
    Actually, when they replaced the battery, they let it run for a while before putting the back on. It worked for the first 2-3 hrs and then stopped when I adjusted the time.

    The watch has been working for days now, keeping time, although it's 3 hrs behind the current time. I know that if I adjust it, it will stop. I think the adjustment must be the issue. If it was the movement, it would not work at all or very poorly, one would think.

    I'm not keen on replacing the movement because I know that Movado is a pricey company and it will probably come to 1/2 the price or more of the watch. A relative got it new for me for ~$300 at a TJMaxx - in more expensive stores it can run from $600-$1200, and I think a total replacement of the movement at this point (after 6 years, with scratches on the glass, and considering the purchasing price) is probably not worth it.
    Most common situation in your case is the stem is a little too short, did you feel that click when you insert the stem back after you set the time? another common situation is the movement holder loose or even missing, pull the stem out and see if you can move the entire movement by the stem? if you do, the movement holder (case ring) is missing or broken.
    Another possibly case is the stem rusted inside, so after you set the tiem, you push back the stem and the clutch wheel (winding pinion) did not slide back to dis-engage the minute wheel, so the watch are not free to go.

    Check the stem and try to feel the smoothness and let me know.

  10. #10
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: Genway)

    I have worked on watches with such problem of occasionally on and off, and I used to lubricate the stem and put the watch on either turbo tester (horotec) or India made demagnetizer which rotates the watch faster to release any obstruction in gear train. I have been successful with this method most of times.
    However, running watch slow is a what needs special attention like regulating watch speed.
    In my opinion, trying oiling the stem and moving it fast on either of instruments mentioned above could solve the problem.

    Jaswant Kamboj

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: jkamboj)

    Jaswant my friend,
    I have use Witschi Cyclonic for years, that was the first company put out magnetic device to drive the trans on quartz watch, and Horotec and many company followed, but after about five years, I stopped use it, all my repair has warranty, so I know after five years how many come back for the quick fix method. It is only temperary fix! after few months all those watches come back for more problems! The crashed pieces still inside the watch and just spread out more areas.
    As professional watchmaker, I think each watch as my own, each problem as my own, so customer get same satisfaction as I do. So in long run, that is going hurt my reputation if I don't take serious about it.
    I am sorry if this sound harsh, I had waste many years rush the job, quick fix things, but untill one day one gentle man come back two times for a watch repeated have the same problem after I repaired, he told me "Genway, maybe you have the time to repair my watch many times, but I don't have time come back many times, each time I come I lost hundreds dollars", he was very nice explained to me, it turn out he was VP for IBM. That was 15 years ago, and it make me lost sleep for many days.
    It is not about the money, it is about time.

  12. #12
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    107

    Default Professionlism vs quick fix (RE: Genway)

    Dear Genway

    Thanks for the wonderful thoughts. Yes, in the long run, watchmakers professionalism counts. This method is a quick fix with no guarantee of how long would it last. I fully agree with you. However, sometimes, for practical reasons, this is the only choice left for the watchmaker. If the customer can afford it, movement replacement is always the best option.

    Jaswant Kamboj

  13. #13

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: jkamboj)

    If it was running fine before stopping... I agree with some of the other responses. When opening since you did not do the battery exchange,

    1) clean the back off throughly before removal.
    2) remove old cell and inspect the condition of the contact.
    (many times the cell will have leaked and left corrosion of a liquid film.
    3) I find that the (surface) on the (-) terminal of most modern cells is a very hard finish. Even though the Cell may be Brand New and in good condition, the hardness of the (-) side of the cell even if the terminal is clean sometimes will not pass current.

    Example, when you purchase a new car battery before re-installing the battery cables they clean the terminals.

    I keep a fiberglass brush to put a fine finish on the negative side of the cells to break through the "hard" finish.

    Many times this will take care of the battery breaking contact with the cell straps.

    I have a compressed air line at the bench... be sure no fiberglass fragments stick to the cell as they could become a stopper issue.

    Having your watch check by someone with a "Quartz Tester" capable of lowering the Voltage to see if you watch is still within
    operating limits is also a very good idea.

    It may not pass to the "lowest" operating voltage that the company says it should..... but that will tell you the general cleanliness of the movement and how long you should expect the new cell to run your watch.

    Good Luck

  14. #14

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: jkamboj)

    Hi all,

    I let the watch run for ~week. It was about 3 hrs behind. I then switched the time to the proper time two days ago and it's working fine now and keeping time.

    Thanks for all your help.

  15. #15
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Movado watch problem (RE: mrbill)

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
    If it was running fine before stopping... I agree with some of the other responses. When opening since you did not do the battery exchange,

    1) clean the back off throughly before removal.
    2) remove old cell and inspect the condition of the contact.
    (many times the cell will have leaked and left corrosion of a liquid film.
    3) I find that the (surface) on the (-) terminal of most modern cells is a very hard finish. Even though the Cell may be Brand New and in good condition, the hardness of the (-) side of the cell even if the terminal is clean sometimes will not pass current.

    Example, when you purchase a new car battery before re-installing the battery cables they clean the terminals.

    I keep a fiberglass brush to put a fine finish on the negative side of the cells to break through the "hard" finish.

    Many times this will take care of the battery breaking contact with the cell straps.

    I have a compressed air line at the bench... be sure no fiberglass fragments stick to the cell as they could become a stopper issue.

    Having your watch check by someone with a "Quartz Tester" capable of lowering the Voltage to see if you watch is still within
    operating limits is also a very good idea.

    It may not pass to the "lowest" operating voltage that the company says it should..... but that will tell you the general cleanliness of the movement and how long you should expect the new cell to run your watch.

    Good Luck
    You have mention one of the most important procedure in doing electrical test on quartz watches. Doing the "lower working voltage limit test". I have discussed quartz watch repair in my previous posts at the Horological Tools and Quartz Watch repair.

Similar Threads

  1. watch problem diagnostic flowchart
    By FreWJensen in forum Watch Repair
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
  2. pocket watch problem
    By pago in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 02:37 AM
  3. Illinois watch problem
    By danM in forum Wrist Watches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 02:09 AM
  4. Elgin pocket watch problems
    By Holt in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 09:23 PM
  5. gelbros watch problem
    By scout in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2002, 05:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •