Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 792 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982

Sorry, perhaps I should have started a new topic on this so here goes.

We have found an old time recording machine in one of our old archive buildings which we are going to clean up and put on display.
    I am going to have a sign made about who it was made by and approx what year it was made. Also trying through our people where it was previously. I imagine as we are the old British Steel it was used locally in one of the old steel plants/rolling mills in the Teesside area of England as this is where it was found.
    On the clock face and the metal plate where the clocking card went into is 'The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd' the serial number on the clock face is 22982.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ... Clive
    I have seen and read another thread regarding a machine similar to this one ehich was headed Simplex/Empire time recorder.

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Corus)

Welcome Corus.

About all I can tell you about your Gledhill-Brook Time Recorder is what's in Paul Harrison's book, "A Series of Papers on the Early History and Development of Industrial Time Recorders."

Therein is a list of serial numbers and years. S/N's 22816 thru 23300 line up with year 1927. Obviously, the author or someone compiled a spreadsheet of serial numbers perhaps from GB records. GB existed from 1912 to 1964 making these clockin-in/out machines.

The book is interesting and reveals that GB's business was first making "cash tills." the predecessor of cash registers. The feature requiring a register entry before the drawer opens is attributed to GB.

Enjoy your clocking in/out machine.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Eckmill)

Corus, welcome to the message board. Could you post a few pictures of your clock?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: harold bain)

Thanks Harold & Eckmill, attached are some pictures taken of the machine at the archive office.
    The guy who runs the archives may know it's history, he is on holiday this week so when he comes back will be able to quiz him.
    I think he is going to be a little upset when he sees it gone as I think he was getting quite attached to it.
    At least it remains in the company where it was actually used and also on display for people to see rather than be stuck in a back room out of sight.
    May well have come from our old Cargo Fleet works which has long since gone.
    Thanks again ..... Clive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0792s.JPG   PICT0793s.JPG   PICT0794s.JPG  

Here is mine, to serve as another example for you. Mine is a slave clock, noted above center shaft on dial, 'electrically propelled'. It is designed to advance twice a minute, I gave quick thought to modifying it to once a minute impulse, but never did ~ CW

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: coldwar)

Coldwar, a pulse generator could be made to run this clock with it's twice a minute pulses. A simple one would use a 1 RPM motor and a 2 lobe cam, tripping a microswitch.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Coldwar, a pulse generator could be made to run this clock with it's twice a minute pulses. A simple one would use a 1 RPM motor and a 2 lobe cam, tripping a microswitch.
    Thanks for the useful tip - I have had systems running to enjoy various minute pulse slave clocks I have, such as IBM, Stromberg, Howard, Seth Thomas, Standard, and had hoped to connect it to the same master. The master I have used the most is a Stromberg, and as a test I hot wired the pulse through the make and break contact on the verge arbor, to pulse it once during the standard actuation, essentially offering two pulses per actuation. It worked, but not dependably, would loose about twenty minutes in 24 hours. I gathered some larger electrolytics to hang in parallel with the latching relay to increase the duration of pulse without mechanical alterations to the original clock, but then thought I might get three occasionally instead of the desired two. I sort of thought the relay has a rough mechanical adjustment to set duration, but never investigated. I also thought of utilizing the 20V pulse to charge one of the big electrolytics (50000uF @ 24V), closing a SPDT relay with the same pulse, with a small electrolytic in parralel with the relay coil to hold it closed for a few additional secs. Then when the pulse collapses and the relay throws, apply the stored cap power as wired to the other contact to apply the extra pulse to that slave. Diodes used to prevent a backfeed to system and master. Didn't think inductive kickback would goof me up. Then I moved and the experiment stopped (±ten years ago). Seeing the fellows clock reminded me of the unfinished experiment. Thanks again ~ CW

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: coldwar)

Interesting when we took ours back to the joiners shop and having a chat with them about it.
    I was told by one of the joiners that the bottom of the case will be scuffed and battered.
    He explained the reason as being in those days your wages were ruled by the clock (still are), and when all the men were lined up at a minute to the hour (or half hour) ready to clock off then someone would give it a kick to try and help it jump to the next minute and they could all get away.
    Whether it worked or not? I looked at the cabinet base and sure enough !
    .... see picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0952s.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Corus View Post
    ...I have seen and read another thread regarding a machine similar to this one ehich was headed Simplex/Empire time recorder.
    Greetings, Clive, and welcome to the message board! I saw your note in the other thread you mentioned (which had photos of my Empire / Gledhill-Brook time recorder with the Simplex dial).

Very interesting/story about the kicking of the time clock!

Thanks for posting.
    John
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Registered user.

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Would anyone be kind enough to look in Paul Harrison's book, "A Series of Papers on the Early History and Development of Industrial Time Recorders." and see if they could find the date of a Gledhill Brook time recorder with the serial number 68193, thanks.

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Raymond Farrelly)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Farrelly View Post
    Would anyone be kind enough to look in Paul Harrison's book, "A Series of Papers on the Early History and Development of Industrial Time Recorders." and see if they could find the date of a Gledhill Brook time recorder with the serial number 68193, thanks.
    68193 is, according to Harrison's book, a WWII baby.

For the year 1944, serial numbers between 67581 and 69500 were produced.

Obviously many were needed in factories producing weapons not only for employee's wages but in addition, processing "job travelers" as well.

Wow, I didn't realize there was a book with dates for serial number ranges. Would it be possible to give a date for the serial number 38871 in my clock?

Thanks very much!!
    John C.

Registered user.

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Hi Eckmill, Thank you for the useful information. The museum that own the clock were told that it was once used in a railway station and have asked me if I could find out some history on it. Do you think that this is likely? I don't suppose you know if there is any record of the history of individual clocks. Raymond

Default Re: The Gledhill-Brook Time Recorders Ltd No.22982 (RE: Raymond Farrelly)

John C. asks about sn 38871 which appears to be a number on the movement and not the sn of the Gledhill-Brook recorder. GB recorder serial numbers are recorded on a tag affixed below the face.

Fortunately John included a reference to "my clock". The recorder pictured in "my clock," a Simplex re-branded GB recorder, has sn 78186. According to Harrison's book, it was made in 1952.

Raymond comments that the museum owning the GB recorder in his query has stated that the recorder was used in a railway station.

I can imagine that a railway station having more than two regular agents would, have an attendance recorder. Beyond simply "clocking-in and clocking-out" Gledhill-Brook recorders were used for many purposes. Job costing or "shop-travelers" were and are a common use for these recorders as well as dispatching motor coaches to and from the shed for two examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    John C. asks about sn 38871 which appears to be a number on the movement and not the sn of the Gledhill-Brook recorder. GB recorder serial numbers are recorded on a tag affixed below the face.

Fortunately John included a reference to "my clock". The recorder pictured in "my clock," a Simplex re-branded GB recorder, has sn 78186. According to Harrison's book, it was made in 1952.
    Thanks, Les!
    I appreciate the info!
    Sincerely,
    John C.