Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1583 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default waltham swiss made

I've got a waltham watch company with "swiss made" on the back of the movement. 17 jewels unadjusted. The case and bezel are snap ons. There's no serial numbers either.

Does anyone know what years these were made? The face looks similar to a hamilton 992 I have, but from what I've read on here this is one of the swiss fakes, I guess.

The face has printed words of "shock resistant" and "anti-magnetic".

Registered user.

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: rd99)

I have one of those models that is 16 size pendent set but I think it is a Waltham but from the very end of Waltham's production. Most of the time with Swiss fakes they were careful not to directly copy a copyrighted name but would change a few letters or would use names that were close but not spelled identical. I am sure the brand name "Waltham" was copyrighted at one time so if a Swiss fake situation using the name "Waltham" would have brought immediate legal action. Elgin toward the end of its life also produced some Swiss watches.

Blog Entries

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: 49stude63)

The Hamilton Traffic Special is a good example of these Swiss made watches.Unadjusted , and they sometimes sell for very big bucks.
    They have a 669 movement.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: Kevin W.)

I'm not at home so I can't post a picture of it, but this one has "WALTHAM" printed above a small drawing of a train on the dial and "SWISS MADE" below the 6 o'clock position.

Did the company just give up trying at the point this was made, is that why there's no serial number?

Registered user.

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: rd99)

Yep that is it, it probably does have a serial number but probably not where you would normally find it. Mine has Waltham Watch co on one of the bridge parts and is an incabloc movement.

Waltham International SA

The Waltham Watch Company went out of business in 1957, but had founded a subsidiary in Switzerland in 1954, Waltham International SA. Waltham International SA continues to produce mechanical wrist watches and mechanical pocket watches under the "Waltham" brand and is a full-fledged member of the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH.

Blog Entries

moderator>>place in Swiss section

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: Jon Hanson)

These Swiss made Waltham's are no relation to the Waltham Watch Co. of Massachusetts.

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: Brian C.)

What about something like this watch? It sure looks like a Waltham Model 1894, and even the serial number seems to be correct for the movement and the time of manufacture. But it sure doesn't look like any Waltham I've seen--not only is there no Waltham mark on the movement plates, but check out the strange mounting screws under the plates.

It seems that if some manufacturer is going to go to the trouble to make a decent counterfeit, they could actually just make a good watch under their own name!

Anyway, I'm sure this watch is pretty worthless, but it still has some interesting historical significance to me.

Thanks,

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Face.jpg   Mvmt.jpg  

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: Scott Erholm)

BCMontana,
    I have one just like yours. It's a Waltham Watch. My records say it's a Marsh's Pat. case & movement. You don't see many of these around. It's a keeper my friend.
    Brian C.

Registered user.

Waltham indeed did appear to create a subsidiary in Switzerland and here is their link and history and they do claim to have direct lineage to the Original Waltham company.
    http://www.waltham.ch/index.php?main...span=1954-2000

If Waltham created this company for the very reason to produce watches at a lower cost rate and the original company ceased production (as many American companies have because of costs) to me it's lineage would still go back to the original company, they are no longer in US but they were created by the original US company.

Blog Entries

NO WAY--these are Swiss products that have absolutely nothing to do with American Watch Co manufactured products of the USA!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: waltham swiss made (RE: Jon Hanson)

Well, I am new at this, but would have to agree with Jon--a Waltham post 1957 is not an American made watch, even if the roots of the company are in America.

I would not have purchased that watch pictured above, except that it was part of a collection. I told the previous owner that it was not worth much, so I didn't even add any value into my offer for the whole lot.

Even if it was made by Waltham after moving operations to Switzerland, why would they not put their name on the movement?

But two different things are probably being referred to here-- actual Swiss Waltham (not American made) watches, and counterfeit watches. I may post a different thread asking about my particular movement.

Thanks,
    Scott

For the last time. This company had nothing to do with the original Waltham Watch Co.
    Jon or Tom, why don't you chime in hear and stop this nonsense.

Registered user.

Jon or Brian are you saying that Waltham USA did not create this company in Switzerland in 1954? I didn't say anything about US made watches and Waltham Swiss watches being the same only that Waltham did appear (from various souces) to create this subsidiary that continued to make watches long after the original Waltham USA company stopped production of US made watches. And that these watches are still being produced by a company that can rightfully claim that it has lineage back to the original company that started in the 1800's. That would be like saying if General Electric created a subsidiary in China that that company could not claim lineage back the the original company, General Electric USA. The original question was were these watches "Swiss" fakes, if you define a a "Swiss fake" as a company in Switzerland that produced watches that used names to confuse or appear to be a watch that it isn't. In the case of the Swiss Waltham the name is not abused or used in the terms of a "fake" name but that Waltham did create this company in Switzerland in the early 50's. No they are not USA made Waltham, these watches are clearly marked "Swiss" but using the name Waltham is legtimate.
    Last edited by 49stude63; 05-25-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Let's stop the spin and the BS--these watches are not MADE IN AMERICA; thus, they are not American made.

END OF STORY!