Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1982 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default What does "unadjusted" mean on a clock or a watch?

I often found the word "Unadjusted" on the clock or watch movement.
    I have no idea what it means. Any informatin will be highly appreciated.
    Ming

Default Re: What does "unadjusted" mean on a clock or a watch? (RE: marylander)

"Adjusted" and "unadjusted" are more watchmaking terms than clock terms. "Adjustments" are complicated processes to make a watch keep time at the same rate in 1)different temperatures, 2) "isochronism", when the watch is fully wound versus nearly unwound, and 3)"positional", when the watch is in different positions, such as face up, face down, etc.
    In clocks, positional error is not, of course, an issue. Isochronism is the only issue for mainspring-driven clocks, as weight driven clocks supply even power at all times. Temperature compensation is an issue for all mechanical clocks, and is remedied on anniversary clocks by the stability of the suspension spring.
    I suspect that the marking on 400 day movements is either traditional or related to import/export laws, and has little practical meaning.
    Les Bradley

Registered user.

Default Re: What does "unadjusted" mean on a clock or a watch? (RE: lesbradley)

Les, Thank you very much. It is clear.
    Ming

Default Re: What does "unadjusted" mean on a clock or a watch? (RE: marylander)

It is my understanding that the US had import duties that were much higher on horological items if they were "adjusted" and even though many watches were in fact "adjusted" to positions they were marked "unadjusted" to avoid the extra import tax.

Default Re: What does "unadjusted" mean on a clock or a watch? (RE: jkfabulos)

I believe that's why they marked movements as "No (0) jewels" as well - even ones that you wouldn't expect to be jeweled, such as 400 day clocks.