Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2133 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default How to set chimes on westminster

I have a westminster clock that keeps perfect time but the chimes chime two minutes early and are off by two hours, could anyone please tell me how to correct this?

Thanks

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: weehrs)

Move the hour hand around clock wise towards the correct hour to correctly synchronize the strike.

As for the two min thing, I don't know I have never worked on a chime clock. But if it was my clock and that is absolutely all that is wrong with it, I would just leave it alone. More experienced clock repairers will tell you that chime clocks are more of a pain in the arse to fix. They are not something an amateur should take on. And if you take it to a professional, chime clock repair generally costs well more then 120 dollars. It just isnt worth going to all that trouble for one little thing like that. (Sorry I couldnt be more encouraging/helpful!!! I am sure thats not what you wanted to hear, perhaps someone else more knowledgable/experienced can give you a better answer then I)

What kind of clock is it?
    Last edited by chrsvor25; 12-26-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: chrsvor25)

A little more info will be necessary to guide you on the two minute problem. Moving the hour hand will certainly cure the two hour problem but for the two minute problem it would help to know the apx. age of the clock and perhaps also the movement mfr. More recent movements have minute hands with square bushings that are movable. Your correction may involve only removeing the MINUTE hand and moving hand two minutes on it's bushing.

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: Scottie-TX)

It's a Mauthe. I don't know how old it is.

Possibly you could flip the minute hand and see if that helps.

Regards,
    JB

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: JB)

AS JB said, flipping the minute hand might work, unless it is a somewhat ornate minute hand, in which case it might look funky. If bushed, as Scottie said, you could adjust the bushing. Sometimes also bending th hand slightly in the desired direction might work, but you might again have a funky look to the hand, or you could damage/break the hand if it is too delicate to endure bending. Perhaos for two minutes, leaving it alone is best, especially if the movement is otherwise clean, oiled, and working well.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: Steven Thornberry)

If it is German or British, there is a better chance that the minute hand is on a bushing. If it is on a bushing, the handle of a file with a square shank, usually tapers down enough to fit the hand on, then gently move it on its bushing. Trial and error to get it exactly right.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: harold bain)

Alright, It chimes on the correct hour now and is keeping perfect time but it's chiming 15 minutes late, in other wrods it chimes the hour at 1/4 after and 1/4 after at 1/2 past and so on. Could anyone suggest what I can do to correct this problem?

I've had some luck in quickly moving the minute hand to the correct position when the chimes begin. So, if it chimes the hour at 15 past, quickly move the hand to the next hour. This will mean adjusting the hour hand.

More simply, if the minute hand has a square opening, take it off and re-position it on the arbor.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: How to set chimes on westminster (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Most chiming clocks have a correction mechanism built into the movement. If it has run like this for a few hours, then the solution is as Steven said, take the minute hand off its arbor, and reposition it to where it is chiming.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"