Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1032 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Pearl Grandfather Clocks

Hi everybody, I purchased a Pearl Grandfather clock 28 years ago and still have it today, still runs great. I bought it new from a furniture store in Norwood Mass. Does anybody know what happened to the company that made this clock ? Pearl Clock company ? How long they were in business ? I read on the internet that it might have been another division of Howard Miller, but I do not know how accurate that could be. If anybody has info on this company I would be interested, they were around 28 years ago.

Thank You: Al

Default Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: Al)

Al,

I think that they went out about 8 or 10 years ago. Maybe someone will have a definate answer. I order some stuff from them at about the time they were going out but don't have the exact date. The may have been bought up by H-M but as far as I know H-M had no association with the company while it was in business.

Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: Willie X)

Pearl was located in Memphis, TN. I dont know exactly when they closed.

Much like Howard Miller and others they made cases and used others movements such as Hermle.

There is a company in the Memphis area (Collierville, TN) called Pearl Mantles. They build custom fireplace mantels and sell a couple of models of clocks. The owner has been in the furniture business for many years. He could be the owner of the previous company?

Congratulations on your clock and its survival!

Smile Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: Al)

I just today acquired my Grandparents Grandfather clock!! Sadly I don't know anything about it. How would I go about finding its age and such. I'm so very happy to be the proud owner of it now. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. thank you Chatty
    -> posts merged by system <-
    I just today acquired my Grandparents Pearl Grandfather clock!! Sadly I don't know anything about it. How would I go about finding its age and such. I'm so very happy to be the proud owner of it now. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. thank you Chatty

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: Achatty)

Hi chatty, welcome to the message board. If you could post a few pictures of the clock, and what you find stamped on the back of the clock's movement, we could give you more info. I've worked on a few of these clocks, with Hermle movements. They are date coded.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: harold bain)

I will do that, ty so much Harold. Might take me a bit to figure out how to, This is all new to me.

If you could look with a mirror and flashlight at what is stamped on the back of the clock movement, it would help us to know what movement is in your clock.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Here's the pics I took, I hope this helps. thank you Chatty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 052.jpg   047.jpg   048.jpg   049.jpg   050.jpg  

051.jpg  

The back of the movement contains the information we would need to date it. Nice looking clock.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I'm not sure I know what part to look at, we did the mirror/light thing, but there were no numbers there. will go look again

There should be something stamped on the back of the movement to identify it's origins. Usually near the bottom.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I feel really stupid, we have looked every where. Do you mean an address on the brass plate holding the clock face and parts to the wood?

chat,

There are two brass plates about 5" square or rectangular in shape. All of the gears are held between them. If you look at the back side of the back plate, you will see some lightly, but usually clearly stamped, information in the lower right (as you face the movement from the back) corner of the plate.

There will usually be three lines of information. The date, or date code, would likely be at the top, followed by a name like Hermle or Sligh, and then a line of numbers like 1161-853 95cm.

Sometimes these numbers are difficult to read exactly with a mirror but they are outstanding enough so that you can easily tell they are there.

Good luck, Willie X

No, it should be on the backplate of the movement that runs the clock. If there is side access to the movement, you might have some luck from there.
    Your clock might be due for some routine maintenance from a clock repairman. They need occasional oiling and cleaning. The repairman should be able to identify the maker of the movement and approximate age.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Smile Re: Pearl Grandfather Clocks (RE: harold bain)

thank you both for all your help. I only have a paten # thats it. I will have to wait to get a clock repair man out.