Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2225 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clock cleaning solution

Would anyone have a recipe for a good clock cleaning solution. I use one with a mix of water, ammonia, Murphy's oil soap, Acetone. I have never tried the type you buy from the clock repair places. Everything I have tried still leaves the thicker stuff. Thanks.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: Mr. Rubytine)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rubytine View Post
    Would anyone have a recipe for a good clock cleaning solution. I use one with a mix of water, ammonia, Murphy's oil soap, Acetone. I have never tried the type you buy from the clock repair places. Everything I have tried still leaves the thicker stuff. Thanks.
    Your mix is fine, but needs one more ingredient - soap. I prefer Dawn dishwashing detergent with grease cutting formula. Use the same amount as (usually 8 oz in a gallon) as the other main ingredients. Heavy grease and really dirty movements should be precleaned in a degreaser.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: shutterbug)

All water based cleaners work best if they are hot.

Try getting grease off plastic with any water based cleaner that is cold.

That is why dishwashers use hot water.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: Len Lataille)

I use Historic Timekeepers. Leaves no residue. For really greasy or gummed-up ones, give a pre-cleaning with Simple Green or Krud-Kutter or the like, followed by hot water wash, before the main cleaning.
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Has anyone tried this powder mixed with water in an ultrasonic?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91593

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    I use Historic Timekeepers. Leaves no residue.................
    I sometimes use Historic Timekeepers but I can't completely agree with the "leaves no residue" part. After cleaning and a hot water rinse, I find that water droplets bead up on the surface of the plates as if there is an oil or wax film. The recommended alcohol rinse seems to remove whatever was is left behind that causes this. My recommendation is that if you use this or similar formulas, donít omit the alcohol rinse.

Bob C.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: R. Croswell)

A solution that I mix up here in my shop is this. Since my ultrasonic cleaner holds about 3 gallons, here are the proportions: 3 gallons of ammonia, 1 pint of PineSol cleaner, and either 1 or 1/2 pint of Murphy's Oil Soap.. I do not use a PineSol type cleaner as found in the dollar stores, but the original PineSol. When using this solution, I always turn on the tank heater for the best results. The ammonia I get is the stuff at WalMart, about $.96 per half-gallon. My supply water is soft, so when I take the parts out of the tank after cleaning, I rinse with hot water (leaves no water spots since it is soft), pat dry and then blow dry with heat. FWIW...............doc

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: doc_fields)

so leaving the oily film would be a good thing? I use the timekeepers solution too.
    Ryan

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: R. Croswell)

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    I sometimes use Historic Timekeepers but I can't completely agree with the "leaves no residue" part. After cleaning and a hot water rinse, I find that water droplets bead up on the surface of the plates as if there is an oil or wax film. The recommended alcohol rinse seems to remove whatever was is left behind that causes this. My recommendation is that if you use this or similar formulas, donít omit the alcohol rinse.

Bob C.
    Yeah, I always do the alcohol rinse. Maybe that's why I find no residue. But I wonder if the film Bob mentions is harmful.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rubytine View Post
    I've found John Losch's articles very enlightening; you can find them over here. The article on clock cleaning solution says that using Murphy's Oil Soap is actually a very satisfactory (according to J. Losch) substitute for oleic acid. As far as ammonia, J. Losch mentions that 26% ammonia is preferable to the household kind which is 13%. My local Ace Hardware sells both concentrations.

Where do you guys get oleic acid anyway? Nobody in my area carries it. Good thing Murphy's is easy to get.
    Doug Haeussler, NAWCC #0167553 - Prescott Valley, AZ

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: bangster)

When you mix chemicals, there is always some reaction. Sometimes there is an exchange of elements and some chemicals resist "mingling". The residue may be a byproduct or a particular something that won't mix in. If there is no telling damage and it rinses off, it's probably not of major concern. It might even be a "coating" from the parts, like lacquer or something.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: shutterbug)

One thing I might mention, is to always use some form of purified water when making up your solutions. Reverse osmosis water available at WalMart or distilled water is great, because it leaves no staining or water drop marks on the plates. Also, the same is good for a rinse, no water marks. FWIW............doc
    http://precisionclockandwatch.com
    http://precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com

Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: cazboy)

Thanks Cazboy for the link to John,s article on cleaning, very educational.

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Thanks Cazboy for the link to John,s article on cleaning, very educational.
    You betcha.
    Doug Haeussler, NAWCC #0167553 - Prescott Valley, AZ

Banned

Default Re: Clock cleaning solution (RE: cazboy)

I follow John Losch's formula, but I use blueprint ammonia, which I buy through Print-O-Stat. It is also available through other surveyor/engineer supply houses. It is nasty stuff, though, and really messes with my lungs. I have a WW II surplus gas mask that I wear when I am using it.

I do not use Dawn, because if brass is left too long in it, it tends to develop a brown stain which is nearly impossible to scrub off. Also, if any portions of the brass are left out of the solution, there is a black line left where the surface of the liquid is.