Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1004 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default W. Haid Clock 340-020

I just purchases this clock, but can find no info on the web regarding the maker. I did find one thread which indicated Haid went out of business in the early "80s, but the works are Hermle. Can anyone give me any info about it? It is in wonderful working condition; and looks beautiful.
    Thanks!

Default Re: W. Haid Clock 340-020 (RE: fcbyrd)

fcbyrd,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! A photo or two would be helpful in identifying your clock. If you would like to post them, instructions can be found at Click Here

John Webb

Fcbyrd
    Glad to have you aboard. If I am not mistaken the movement # 340-020 Has been manufactured by Hermle, and has been there most widely used movement in Hermle history.
    The name Haid was proably the mfg that made the clock case. For example Howard Miller might only have there name on the back of the plate, but usually will have a Hermle movement number which can be tracked down quickly. Hope this helps.
    Pat

Fcbyrd,

In Schmid's 'Lexikon der deutschen Uhrenindustrie' there is a short entry for the firm Wilhelm Haid situated in the town of Pfullingen.

The entry states that the company was known to have used Hermle movements in its clocks and that it does not seem ever to have produced its own movements. Schmid states that the company was active 'around 1965' but does not give definite dates for start or finish.

Hope this may be of some help - and it would be nice to see a picture if you can.

JTD

Thank you all for your input!! The only thing I know about mantel clocks is that I grew up around them.
    Attached are two pictures, one of the face; one of the works. The closeup of the works didn't turn out well, but the info on the back is:
    W.Haid
    340-020

I do have a few other questions which you could probably answer for me.
    There are three windup ports. Which is for time, for hour chimes, for quarter hour chimes? What happens if I don't wind the one for quarter hour chimes? When I rewind it will the chimes be in synch? Also, all the chimes work well, but the quarter hour chimes seem out of synch. They chime on the quarter, half, and three quarter hour, but the tones are not in the right sequence. Everything works correctly mechanically, but the notes are not correct. Does that make sense?
    I bought this clock at a garage sale for $80.00. The gentleman who sold it to me also works on clocks. He said it had recently been cleaned and oiled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haid Mantel Clock 001.jpg   Haid Mantel Clock #2 002.jpg  

Blog Entries

FC:

Based on that info, the clock (or at least the movement) is from 1974. Haid could be a small, defunct furniture or jewelry company that had this made. Never heard of it myself.

The left hole is for striking the hour, the middle is for time and the right one is for the chimes. If you do not wind the chime side, when you do wind it, it will most likely be out of normal sequence. However, Hermle movements have a built-in chime reset to re-sequence the quarters at the top of the hour.

If the man recently cleaned and oiled it, it is not out of the realm to assume he may have assembled the clock and not properly sequenced the chime barrel. That would mean that all chime sequences would be wrong, not just one.

There is a specific order for Westminster (4 notes, 8 notes, 12 notes, then 16 notes). You would have to turn the clock around and watch each quarter to determine if they are wrong. If they are, it's a simple fix (just remove a c-clip from one of the gears on the back and advance the barrel until correct.)

fc,

In addition to what Chris said.. if you do not wind the chime (the righthand hole), the hourly strike will also not work... it is activated by the chime.
    David Robertson - Kingsland, TX

Thanks, again!
    If I don't wind the chimes OR the hour strike, just the time, then neither will strike. Correct? What happens if I don't wind the chimes, but DO wind the hour strike?? Also, based on what you've told me, the best time to rewind the chimes, if I choose to do so, would be just before the top of the hour. It would reset itself. Correct

Blog Entries

You can wind the time, strike and chime sides at any time with no issues. If you wind the hour strike side, but not the chime, neither will work as the chime side has a lever which activates the strike side. Hence, no chime, no strike, period.

If the chimes are off sequence (ex., 4,3,2,1 for 15), then you can easily and safely fix the problem yourself. Looking at the pictures you sent, if you remove the c-clip that holds the small gear to the back plate of the clock, you can remove the small gear. Once removed, you can move the larger gear below it and listen to the sequences of the chimes. Once you find the right seqence, you put the small gear back on, listen to all four quarters, and when satisfied, put the c-clip back on. Very easy fix.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

The timing of your winding is not important or critical. There is a correction device on the chimes that will reset the sequence within an hour or so. If your first quarter 4 notes are not sequencial, then you need to reset as per Chris' instructions
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Again, many thanks!!! Chris, what you've suggested is the fix I need, I think. I'll give it a try. '
    One last question. I gather the Hermle movement is a good one, so I assume I have gotten a good clock. Correct?

Blog Entries

I say yes. There are some who don't really hold modern clocks in high regard, but I think you got a nice one. Things to stay away from are Korean 31 day clock movements.

Hermle is a very popular movement maker and I consider their works to be very good. Plus, you have the bonus of a nice chime and strike and don't need to futz with a pendulum. Enjoy it; it's a nice modern piece that should give years of enjoyment.

Blog Entries

There are some Hermles, that i would not like, instead, a Korean clock is better in my veiw.
    At least you have steel pivots and not a thin plating like on some Hermle clocks.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by veritas
    There are some Hermles, that i would not like, instead, a Korean clock is better in my veiw.
    At least you have steel pivots and not a thin plating like on some Hermle clocks.
    I have a Haid clock I bought last year. All three click springs lost their temper and the pin that catches the mainspring broke off the arbor, which remindes me I never did finish that clock.

ter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I say yes. There are some who don't really hold modern clocks in high regard, but I think you got a nice one. Things to stay away from are Korean 31 day clock movements.

Hermle is a very popular movement maker and I consider their works to be very good. Plus, you have the bonus of a nice chime and strike and don't need to futz with a pendulum. Enjoy it; it's a nice modern piece that should give years of enjoyment.
    Chris, I thought of one more question. I still haven't set the clock back to Std time. What's the best way to do that?