Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2793 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Dating Germany/West Germany/East Germany Clocks and watches.

Hello

I´d like to know if when a clock or watch is stamped as ' made in Germany' or simply ' Germany' , is always prior to 1949, date when the terms East and West germany begun to be used.
    I have seen a few curious brass Alarm clock models in the shape of an harp, and some had the stamped word 'germany' and otherss 'West Germany' Do you know that model? Thanks

Default Re: Dating Germany/West Germany/East Germany Clocks and watches. (RE: Alexander_)

a picture would make things easier. its a confusing question.

I've always just assumed that west german labelled clocks came when the cold war started, and made in germany clocks are before.

Default Re: Dating Germany/West Germany/East Germany Clocks and watches. (RE: Alexander_)

The first of the following is copyright material, from a talk by D.K. Stevenson, "Marks of Time" presented at the 2007 Midwest Watch and Clockmakers Association Convention, and forthcoming in CLOCKS. Used here with permission.

"There's an extremely widespread belief -- usually presented as fact -- that in Germany, clocks and watches made after World War II and up until reunification in 1990 were only marked "Made in West Germany" and the like. While clocks and watches made before or after that period were marked "Germany" or "Made in Germany."

This claim shows up frequently in eBay listings and in connection with items such as teddy bears, toys and ceramics, as well as with clocks. Although it's frequently used in datings, it's not supported by actual observations.

The _Horolovar 400-Day Clock Repair Guide_ (1991), for example, illustrates 414 backplates of clocks which have "Germany" in one form or another marked on them. About 320 of the 414 backplates are dated from after the Second World War, from circa 1947 to 1986.

Of these 44% have just "Germany" on them, 38% have "Made in Germany" -- or 82%. And only 18% have "West Germany," or "Made in West Germany," etc. Which -- needless to say -- goes directly against what many people believe.

The fact is that "Germany" and "Made in Germany" were very commonly used in the Bundesrepublik Deutschland, the Federal Republic of Germany, throughout the post-World War II period. And not infrequently both "Germany" and "West Germany" even showed up on the same (original) clock."

A few additions. "East Germany" was/is a popular term in English for the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), officially the German Democratic Republic (GDR). And "West Germany" was/is a popular term in English for the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (BRD), officially the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG).

There are also "Germanism's" or "Germlish" forms which are commonly found -- forms not made by English speakers such as "Made in Western Germany" or "Made in West-Germany" (i.e. the hyphen).

It hs been claimed that the continued use of "Germany" in the post-war period reflects the BRD's "Basic Law" assertion that the Federal Republic is "the" Germany. Which it might have done for some. However it's quite easy to find the same firm using "Germany" on some clocks and "West Germany" on others. Or different forms on the same clocks.

I have for example one 400-day clock from circa 1965, a Kundo, that has three different forms on it -- all original. The dial has " Made in Germany". The backplate has "Made in West-Germany." And the base has "Made in Western-Germany."

Finally, there are "authorities" aplenty who evidently have never actually looked at what did actually appear and when.

[edit=5943=1177890586][/edit]
    [edit=5943=1177890634][/edit]

Here are two examples:

The first one is a westclox alarm clocx marked: 'made in Germany'
    Seller says he doesnt know the age.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3779/westcloxgl5.jpg

The second one is other alarm clock: Linden Black forest, marked :' Germany'
    Seller states that believes it is from the 1920.s. I have seen this same model in the past, but marked:' west germany'

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6...kforestth6.jpg

Do you know the probable age of them?

Alexander -- Message Board folk may not comment on for-sale items. And in any case, you'd want someone who has specific knowledge of Westclox and Linden models. The Germany or Made in Germany say nothing helpful about dating (except that both are post-1891).

zepernick

these items are not for sale not for auction. I only want to know about them.
    So, Which forum should I send the images to? Thanks

This is the appropriate Forum, but you might need to be a bit patient... For the Westclox there's also -- for example -- http://vintagewestclox.com/forum/
    [edit=5943=1177946487][/edit]

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Fully agree with Zepernick's comments re the usage of "Germany", "Made in Germany", "Made in West Germany", etal. I have written on that in the 400-Day forum, to the same effect. The very large majority of German clocks made after WW2 did NOT include any reference to "West", or "East" or whatever direction. The ONLY thing one can say about a clock (or watch or any other article) that is stamped with "West Germany" or any variant thereof, is that it was made after WW2.

John Hubby