Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1756 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Christopher Isaac

Default Westminster Mantle Clock ID?

Just trying to find out more about my mantle clock. It has a slow/fast lever on the top of dial and a chime/silent on the dial also. The chimes are VERY loud and clear for a mantle clock.

The movement is marked 'ANVIL, MADE IN BADEM' '024909' 'PAT. PEND. D.R.G.M. NUMBER 1133835'

The dial is marked 'THE NORTHERN GOLDSMITHS COMPANY OSWESTRY'

The back door is marked 'B25/1/65'

A lot of markings so I'm hoping someone may be able to help to ID the maker and age. Thanks

Christopher Isaac

Default Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: Christopher Isaac)

Just trying to find out more about my mantle clock. It has a slow/fast lever on the top of dial and a chime/silent on the dial also. The chimes are VERY loud and clear for a mantle clock.

The movement is marked 'ANVIL, MADE IN BADEM' '024909' 'PAT. PEND. D.R.G.M. NUMBER 1133835'

The dial is marked 'THE NORTHERN GOLDSMITHS COMPANY OSWESTRY'

The back door is marked 'B25/1/65'

A lot of markings so I'm hoping someone may be able to help to ID the maker and age. Thanks

Greetings Christopher --

This trademark is still only partially mapped. It's somewhere between the fuzzy fringes and "here there be ghoulies." One possibility is the firm of Anton Neininger, of Villingen (in Baden). This would fit "Anvil" nicely, i.e. A(nton) N(eininger) Vil(lingen). It's known that the firm AN was founded before 1876, but it seems to have disappeared around 1900.

The DRGM for your clock however dates from 1929 or so. And "Anvil" doesn't show up in any of the German TM listings I've seen from that time. And so on.

However, the DRGM can be checked through the German patent publications. And this might provide an answer. Would you be so kind as to take another photo, a close-up of the back of the movement with the mark and DRGM? This woud be most helpful!

Regards, Duck

Registered user.

Chris
    The name on the dial is the retailer
    Anvil is the logo of the Perivale Manufacturing Co Ltd - Perivale Middx, so no idea what "BADEM" is - Baden??
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Christopher Isaac

Hi Duck thanks for all that info! WIll upload a clear photo tomorrow. As for Anvil, yes I thought that was Perivale anvil IE british clocks, yes my spelling error. it says made in Baden which is obviously germany so I dont see how it could be British unless they made it over there, I don't know. There is also a print of an actual anvil by the word anvil also. thanks

Greetings all --

Perivale were claiming "all-British" clocks and movements, as for example in the ad that Shenton & Shenton reprint, "THE POPULAR BRITISH 'ANVIL' CLOCKS & MOVEMENTS" and in wartime ads. Yet as S&S point out, not a few "British" clocks between the wars had German-made movements cased in the UK.

If this is the case with the movement in this case, it would explain that "Made in Baden" as well as the "Anvil."

We know that the movement, because of the DRGM number, was made no earlier than 1929. And the
    British "Anvil" along with the country-of-origin of the movement would fit requirements of the Merchandise Marks Act, 1926:

"It shall not be lawful to sell, expose for sale, or, by way of advertising goods of some other kind, distribute, in the United Kingdom, any imported goods to which there is applied any name or trade mark being, or purporting to be, the name or trade mark of any manufacturer, dealer, or trader or the name of any place or district in the United Kingdom, unless the trade mark is accompanied by an indication of origin."

The DRGM should clear up who made the movement, at least. In the meantime, I'm going to practice trying to say that sentence from the Act in one breath, while whistling each time there's a comma.

Regards,
    Duck

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: zepernick)

Hi Christopher
    I have a feeling of De Ja Vue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock 015s.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	21318 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock 012s.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	21319

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock 014s.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	21320 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock 010s.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	21321
    This has just arrived so i have not cleaned it yet, i Have Westminister/Whittington chimes on mine and they are played by pins whereas yours is slightly different. Mine appears to have enjoyed severe oil bathing, So i guess a good clean will make a great difference to its looks. My dial is unsigned (ie no sellers name) Thankfully your post has revealed most of the information i was going to research.

Kind regards

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolmt; 11-02-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Messed up the pictures OOPS!!

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: malcolmt)

I'm sorry to say, Christopher Isaac does not come to the NAWCC anymore.

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: chimeclockfan)

Hi Folks

I was wondering if anyone has sugestions for a good cleaning and polishing method (available in UK) For this case. It is in very good condition But lacks a little sparkle.
    Kind regards

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I don't know what's available in UK, but any mildly abrasive cleaner should work, such as products designed for cleaning and polishing automotive paint finishes, fiberglass, plastic, or wood furniture. I think these are usually water-based, and any residue can be removed with water. Other mild solvent bases such as paint thinner would be ok as well. I have used Novus No. 2 plastic polish, Howard's Restore-a-Shine (for furniture) and a home-made mix of paint thinner, beeswax, and fine pumice stone. Once clean, a coat of paste wax is a good idea.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Hi Malcolm,
    I was wondering if anyone has sugestions for a good cleaning and polishing method (available in UK) For this case. It is in very good condition But lacks a little sparkle.
    Try http://www.classicfinishes.co.uk/ in Norwich. They carry a very wide range of products and provide excellent advice.

Rgds
    BrianCC

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: BrianCC)

HI Brian & Jeremy
    Thank you both for great advise. Although Jeremy your advice applies to american products i can, from your description draw paralells To UK products. Brian I am sure your advice will provide the goods for sure. Once again, Thank you both.
    Kind regards

Malcolm

I have the same clock with a single westminster song but all the same works marks, plain dial, one of my favorite clocks. Glad to learn so much about it.

JUG

Registered user.

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: Christopher Isaac)

Hi Chris
    Are you the same person that put a picture of clocks in your bedroom as i am looking for some information on one of the long wall clocks you have,

Thanks Joolz

Registered user.

Default Re: Westminster Mantle Clock ID? (RE: Joolz)

Joolz
    See post #8 - I don't think you'll get a reply!
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.