Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3411 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default SEIKOSHA clock company history

ebay hasn't been very kind to me lately. i guess all i had was beginners luck i suppose. i guess alot of people have the same taste i do. which is good taste evidently.

http://www.ibaycrest.com/ebay/clock/J87/J-87-1.jpg

http://www.ibaycrest.com/ebay/clock/J87/J-87-6.jpg

Made by Seikosha clock company. I looked up a history of them and all i could find was concise corporate information, not detailed form written for the interest of a collector. Today, it is of course, seiko.

I've gathered that the japanese caught on to the clock business in their early attempts at industrialization and made imitation regulator A's and other things. Evidently this is their take on the german box clock. Its really quite lovely.

I assume this is one of their early models. (it even has a nameplate in japanese at the bottom!) But i would just like to be sure.

Default SEIKOSHA clock company history (RE: chrsvor25)

ebay hasn't been very kind to me lately. i guess all i had was beginners luck i suppose. i guess alot of people have the same taste i do. which is good taste evidently.

http://www.ibaycrest.com/ebay/clock/J87/J-87-1.jpg

http://www.ibaycrest.com/ebay/clock/J87/J-87-6.jpg

Made by Seikosha clock company. I looked up a history of them and all i could find was concise corporate information, not detailed form written for the interest of a collector. Today, it is of course, seiko.

I've gathered that the japanese caught on to the clock business in their early attempts at industrialization and made imitation regulator A's and other things. Evidently this is their take on the german box clock. Its really quite lovely.

I assume this is one of their early models. (it even has a nameplate in japanese at the bottom!) But i would just like to be sure.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Looks like an imitation German Box clock with an imitation American movement. Can't help you for dating it. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

You can get a good history of Seikosha from the National Library. It is Number 3 and last of the three chapters translated to English from Hosimi Uchida's History of the Japanese Clock and Watch Industry. That chaper is entitled Evolution of Seiko 1892-1923. The complete book, in Japanese, was commissioned by the Seiko Institue of Horology for the 100th anniversay of the founding by Kintaro Hattori in 1892. It was not the first clock company but it developed into the largest and produced almost half of the clocks made in Japan (many of them metal alarm clocks.)
    Your photos are interesting. The movement is a copy of the Ansonia movement that Peter Gosnell is examining in a two part series in the Bulletin. I have doubts that that is the original movement for the clock. Seikosha stamped their movements and I have yet to see them use that style in their school house, box or "Chicago" style mantle clock. Could you supply a photo that would give us a chance to see the stamped wording. I have a couple of the arch style which have the word "Ansonia" used on them to indicate "improved" or "reconstruction."
    Many Japanese companies used that style of plates for their clocks, but I still have not seen on with the Seikosha stamp.
    Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA
    http://www.JapaneseClockLogos.com

no i am sorry that is the only one that is posted.

I do notice the ansonia wording now. to the bottom left it looked like the 1882 patent wording?

i am quite sad now, i really liked that clock. and that style. and really wanted it for my downstairs room. sigh. another day.

Don't be sad. You have a beautiful clock that you like. There are plenty of marked Seikosha movements around that you could put in it. The important thing is the dial, case, and pasted label. Tell us more about them. And what are the words stamped in the clock?

nah, im sure that clock will resurface on ebay again. i couldnt read what the works said in the picture.

even if i could come up with a seikosha movement (im sure one would surface on the net) it probably wouldnt be functional. and i cant fix clocks. nor hav the money to get them fixed. and i figure, with the money some repairers charge to fix them, im better off just buying another.

as you can tell, i am quite picky about authenticity.

in the meanwhile, i'll go find myself a nice school house clock. alot of them are quite beat up i'm going to see if there are any nice ones.

Keep loking. There are many choices of schoolhouse clocks for sale on E-Bay. I was interested in the web page that posted the photos for the clock you were interested in. When I took off the extra parts of the URL I got the page with all of their photos on it. They have a lot of clocks for sale. When I went back and tried to find any listing on E-Bay I couldn't find any of them. What name do they sell under? And how did you get the URL of the photo?
    Their photos are not all that good to see the details of the logos or the stampings on the movements. Too bad because I think there were a couple of logos that could be added to the ones I have collected.