Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1353 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn

I would like to know where I can find information on the history of the United Clock Co. of Brooklyn N.Y. I was asked to make a presentation to our club meeting but I can't find anything on the Internet. Any help will be most welcome. Thanks

Default History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: georoyer)

I would like to know where I can find information on the history of the United Clock Co. of Brooklyn N.Y. I was asked to make a presentation to our club meeting but I can't find anything on the Internet. Any help will be most welcome. Thanks

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: georoyer)

Hi, Georges. I got this from Spittler and Bailey's American clocks: United Clock Co.; Brooklin, N.Y. Ca. 1905 and later. 379 De Kalb Ave. Founder was Abraham Levy; President until he died in 1961. Makers of unique and decorative timepieces as well as staple clocks and timepieces. Incorporated 1931. President Dr. Harold Levy,; Secretary-- Donald Levy. "Alternating clocks made with motors made by them". A division of United Metal Goods Mfg. Co."
    This should give you a few leads to google for more information. Good luck.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: harold bain)

I have a clock made by United Metal Goods Mfg Co Inc in Brooklyn NY. I was wondering how I could find out when and by whom the clock was made. It is a ship with the clock on the front and a light imbedded in each end and 3 silver masts. I do have a picture of it, I tried to attach it, I am not sure if it worked tho. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jeanne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM2328.jpg  

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: djennen)

The patent number on the ship clock is 2,140,365 if that helps any more. thanks again, Jeanne

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: djennen)

The patent number refers to the Westinghouse electric motor used in the clock (filed Dec. 1934 and issued Dec. 1938). As noted in the earlier posts, there is not much information on the United Clock Company. At one time it merged with or bought out the Sessions Clock Co. of Forestville, CT, as some of their clocks are marked "Sessions-United." United made clocks in a huge variety of styles, including some similar to those made by Mastercrafters Clock & Radio Corp. of Chicago. I tried searching in the NY Times and Brooklyn Eagle newspaper indexes, but there was very little of interest about United. I believe other companies made similar ship model clocks.
    Jeremy

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Like you, I could find little about the United Clock Company on the web. I have always known United for "Carnival Clocks." These named because they were the "big" prizes at carnival games. Usually these were unobtainable because the games were rigged against the "sucker." Along with the ships clocks many United clocks were cast from spelter. In my opinion, most of the themes were so tasteless that they have appeal. United clocks show up on EBay quite regularly and in my opinion, bring more than they are worth.

I did find a short piece about United and their association with Sessions.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    From Two Hundred Years of American Clocks and Watches, Chris Bailey, Pg ###

“In 1956 the company name was changed to The Sessions Company. It operated successfully for many years under the management of W.K. Sessions Sr., but in 1958 it sustained a loss of over a million dollars.
    In March of 1958 the company was sold to Consolidated Electronics Industries Corporation of New York and continued to manufacture at Forestville, Connecticut, for another decade. In august of 1968 the inventory, equipment and tools of the clock making division of Sessions was purchased by United Metal Goods Company of Brooklyn, New York, a company that manufactured electric clocks and percolators. Production ceased at Forestville in 1968 and two years later the empty buildings were sold.”
    --------------------------------------------

From this it seems Sessions and United existed at the same time and the final end to clocks made under the Sessions name was the purchase by United.
    If I am able to find anything further, I will post.

Best Regards.
    Dick

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: georoyer)

The link below will take you to a page showing some of the more popular United Clock styles.

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/indclo.html

Regards,
    Dick

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: Dick Feldman)

I found this remnant in a box of bits (1970s!). I was going to post it and ask if it is a UCC movement. Then Steven T, roused this old thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ucc front.jpg   ucc back.jpg   ucc logo.jpg  

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: laprade)

Quote Originally Posted by laprade View Post
    I found this remnant in a box of bits (1970s!). I was going to post it and ask if it is a UCC movement. Then Steven T, roused this old thread.
    That would be for the Union Clock Company, of Furtwangen (and elsewhere). They were major exporters, mainly for and to the UK.

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: zepernick)

So far as I know, United did only electric clocks.

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks chaps!

I believe original tags on United Clock Co. clocks say "since 1905." Yet, I've never seen anything by them nearly that old, or from the pre-synchronous era.
    Jeremy

Default Re: History of United Clock Co. Brooklyn (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

I believe that United has been around since 1905 in one form or another. The 1905 on the tags might be a bit like finding 1807 on the dials of some Gilbert clocks, or 1753 on the dials of Ithaca tall case clocks, a bit of a red herring in the long run.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Spittlers' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers does give 1905 as the date for United. Wonder what their earliest clocks looked like?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"