Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2961 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Randy Becker

Default What does incabloc mean?

This may be a stupid question,But I am new to watch collecting and trying to learn as much as I can.What does incabloc mean? Thanks RB.

Randy Becker

Default What does incabloc mean? (RE: Randy Becker)

This may be a stupid question,But I am new to watch collecting and trying to learn as much as I can.What does incabloc mean? Thanks RB.

Blog Entries

Randy,

There are many systems to give shock protection to the balance staff in modern watches. Incabloc is only one of them. In this image behind the dial of an Omega Speedmaster chronograph, look for the bright, shiny cap jewel at about 10:00 o'clock, and take note of the little gold colored spring over the jewel. That shock proof system is the Incabloc system.

To elaborate on what Doug said and showed, the balance pivots are one of the most volnerable parts in a watch. They are very thin at about 0.08 to 0.13 mm in diameter. When the watch is dropped, these thin pivots had to try to stop the momentum of the balance. The pivots would crash against the end jewels, which were locked in place. The pivots usually bent or broke. Sometimes the jewel would break due to this impact. The incabloc system allowed the end jewels to give, since they were now held in place by the spring that Doug shows. This greatly softens the blow experience by the pivots and often saves both the pivot and the jewel.

Don