Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3900 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    BudB

Default Clock Repair Training For Newbie

I am considering learning clock repair, both as a hobby to start with (to go along with collecting) and a potential income source. I have been a watch collector for about 5 years, and have dabbled in a little watch repair during that time. I am 55 and still work a full-time job, so I cannot take off to go to either the AWI and NAWCC regular training courses in OH and PA. So my question is, what would you suggest as the best way to go about picking up the skills I need. I've considered the following: 1) obtaining a mentor if possible, 2) Laurie Penman's correspondence course, 3) videos. I would appreciate input from you guys who are already experienced in clock repair. A final question - is knowing how to use a lathe an essential skill for clock repair? Thanks in advance.
    Bud

BudB

Default Clock Repair Training For Newbie (RE: BudB)

I am considering learning clock repair, both as a hobby to start with (to go along with collecting) and a potential income source. I have been a watch collector for about 5 years, and have dabbled in a little watch repair during that time. I am 55 and still work a full-time job, so I cannot take off to go to either the AWI and NAWCC regular training courses in OH and PA. So my question is, what would you suggest as the best way to go about picking up the skills I need. I've considered the following: 1) obtaining a mentor if possible, 2) Laurie Penman's correspondence course, 3) videos. I would appreciate input from you guys who are already experienced in clock repair. A final question - is knowing how to use a lathe an essential skill for clock repair? Thanks in advance.
    Bud

My apprentice, Jim, just received his training course from AWI. The lesson plan was written by Laurie Penman, and I believe it to be around $850.00.

It's rather comprehensive. For a mail order course, where you have to show what you do, I see it as a bargain.

I'd love to believe that Jim could learn everything he needs to from OJT with me, but since I've no structured apprenticeship syllabus, I think he made the best move.

Ordinarily I'd say, "Jim, you've got the best of both worlds." In reality, Jim's between utopia (Laurie Penman's course) and the pits (OJT with me), the way I see it.

Ern & Anneke Grover, As Time Goes By
    26 Webster Street, Springvale, ME 04083
    207-490-3500 / www.timegoes.com / NAWCC 82038
    Ern & Anneke Grover, Father & Son Precision Time, Harrisonburg, VA, www.fsptime.com (540) 478-3925 "Clockmaker to the Shenandoah Valley"

mrb

mentoring is best, can't beat an apprenticeship
    if awi gets their act together with their correspondence course it will be well worth the time and expense
    awi has some great videos
    read everything you can
    lathe skill is a MUST!
    the nawcc school is strictly for hobbyists

Hello Bud,

NAWCC offers a series of "Field Suitcase" courses that are 4 days long and are supported by individual NAWCC Chapters. A qualified instructor comes and teaches the classes. Check out website under "Field Suitcase". I took the introductory class F101 last year and it was excellent. In F101 you actually disassemble, clean, repair, and reassemble the clock, and get it running. In May I will be taking the Repair Skills class F100.

The tuition is $ 250 per course, but you get a good jump start learning how to repair clocks and are alot of fun working with a group. The classes focus on teaching proper repair techniques not the shortcuts that many people take.

Andy Dervan
    Misc Board Moderator

BudB

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions. It appears there are some good resources available to tap into to get started. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as things progress. Again, thanks for your help.
    Bud

Charlie Haywood

Hi Bud,

AWI also has a set of 37 clock repair and clock making videos by Mr.J. M. Huckabee. Each tape runs about 2 hours. They "rent" to members for $5.00 ea. via mail for 2 weeks and 2 may be rented at a time. (I have not seen them, I just received the video list and application from AWI. There are additional videos other than the Huckabee.)

Charlie Haywood
    Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, USA
    NAWCC #0032581 Since 1972

mrb

the huckabee tapes can be some of the most tedious viewing in history. however, the material is accurately explained and demonstrated. if you are a novice it will be worth the time to watch them all!

Dave_P

Hi Bud,
    I started collecting and repairing clocks 2 years ago. I started with the Clock Repair Primer and it was excellent. It walks you through a basic repair step by step.
    However I just completed my first Field Suitcase workshop (FSW) and it was outstanding, and I can't wait till I take the next one. My advice, buy some inexpensive mantle clocks and start taking them apart over and over again, try replacing teeth, bush every thing there is to bush and make sure it works and keeps proper time and strike after each procedure. I'm planning on retiring in 2 years and I'd love to apprentice with someone at that time. Can't beat the hands on and direct feed back.
    Dave