Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3592 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Rollie

halfajap

Default Rollie

Can anyone give me any information on "Rollie" pocket watches ? Anything would be great... I've searched the net to no avail and am asking here in hopes of getting some answers about a pocket watch I was given. It looks really old and gold and seems to have been made for a woman, though I'm not sure because I'm new to this arena. It also has incabloc 17 jewels on the face. Thanks !

halfajap

Default Rollie (RE: halfajap)

Can anyone give me any information on "Rollie" pocket watches ? Anything would be great... I've searched the net to no avail and am asking here in hopes of getting some answers about a pocket watch I was given. It looks really old and gold and seems to have been made for a woman, though I'm not sure because I'm new to this arena. It also has incabloc 17 jewels on the face. Thanks !

Blog Entries

A later Swiss but we would need to view a scan to be sure.

halfajap

I hope these scans help.. (hope they are ok)

halfajap

Sorry Last time didn't work

halfajap

another one...

Thanks for your input !

Yuki

J.C.

Nice pictures, but they do not tell us much.
    Any chance for a shot of the movement?? Try to lay a quarter by the case so we can get an idea of the size of this watch.

Then someone here would be able to say what it is you have.

Also, are there any markings, numbers ,hallmarks, etc. inside back of the case

j.c.

halfajap

Here is the same watch next to a quarter as suggested.. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm doing so I am afraid to even attempt opening it up. (sorry) I lack both the skill and the tools. If it is something that can be done fairly easily, then if someone were to give me directions then maybe..... but until then these pics are all I have.. On the front face, it has "Rollie" underneath the "12" and above the center. Below the center and above the "6" it has "Incabloc" and then "17 jewels" The design of the face makes it extremely difficult to read. Is there anything else I can do to help clarify ?

Blog Entries

Sorry, but this is a modern Swiss watch of no consequence.

halfajap:

Since no one else has done so yet, welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

Some post WWII Swiss (and later, other) watches are marked "Incabloc" on the dial. This is the name of a type of anti-shock system designed to enable the balance staff to survive the many common knocks and jolts that a watch may be subjected to during the course of a day. The balance wheel is a relatively large, rapidly moving mass within the watch. It is mounted on the balance staff, the ends (pivots) of which are turned down to a very fine diameter. When the watch is jolted, a lot of excess force is exerted on the pivots and all too frequently, one of them breaks. The Incabloc anti-shock system is a means of spring-loading the jewels within which the balance staff pivots turn, such that the springs absorb most of the shock, preventing the pivots from breaking. Incabloc and several other anti-shock systems became popular after WWII.

Jon is probably correct about your watch being a modern (well, at least post-WWII) Swiss watch. However, we may be able to tell you a little bit more about it if we could see a picture of the movement. In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful. Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

halfajap

Thank you so much !! I appreciate all of your assistance in this matter. At first I was hesitant to post anything for a variety of reasons, but I'm glad I mustered up my courage. I will follow your advice and read the article. Once accomplished I'll be back to post more information and my findings !! Keep your fingers crossed ! Thank you again for being so nice..

halfajap:

I'll be out of town for a few days. If you have further questions, please post them. Somebody else should answer, even if only to acknowledge your question and state that there may not be an answer. I'll take a look here when I get back.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

halfajap,

These watches were made to simulate old watches-the case is poorly plated pot, cast metal; the movements are modern SWISS.

T