Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3049 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Christopher Isaac

Default President 31 Day Clock (made in korea) open spring movement (load of rubbish I k

right i have this clock, it stops a lot, it's either a worn pivot/cog or a damaged cog, Id like to take it to pieces but because the movement is open spring i dont know what to do! help!

Christopher Isaac

Default President 31 Day Clock (made in korea) open spring movement (load of rubbish I k (RE: Christopher Isaac)

right i have this clock, it stops a lot, it's either a worn pivot/cog or a damaged cog, Id like to take it to pieces but because the movement is open spring i dont know what to do! help!

Default President 31 Day Clock (made in korea) open spring movement (load of rubbish I k (RE: Christopher Isaac)

You need to let down the springs before disassembly.

Wind the springs all the way up.

Put a piece of baling wire around the spring and twist the ends securely. (They make let-down clamps for the purpose, but you don't need them.) That will hold the spring when the tension is released.

Build a makeshift letdown tool as follows: take a piece of broomstick, saw a transverse slot in the round end, stick the blade of the winding key in the slot. Letdown tool

Stick the letdown tool on the winding arbor. Twist it slightly to release tension on the ratchet, pull the pawl --the click-- out of the way with a little screwdriver or something, and slowly let the spring release into the capture wire, until all tension is off.

When both springs are let down, go ahead and disassemble.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Before taking the movement apart, you better know ahead of time what is wrong with it, and what you intend to accomplish while it is apart. If it needs bushings (likely), will you be able to put bushings into it? I know this is not a clock of much value, but if your first venture into clock repair is to have a positive outcome, you need a plan. Perhaps a clock repair book or two would be a good starting point, or look through this message board for priour posts that may help. And if in doubt, ask questions here
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Christopher Isaac

I'm 20, been repairing clocks since I was much younger hehe! Passion for it. This clock's cheap I know, but anyway, it seems it stops every hour, it's the centre shaft for the time, a cog is worn. Sad really I can't replace it etc. This clock was cheap off ebay but would have liked to have it working. I've taken out the escapement patels, letting the clock run down (I know that's not the way), every time it goes an hour I can hear a horrible noise, it's truly a mess. The ecapement stops for one quater of a turn (Manually turning the hands it starts again. My main interest is cuckoo clocks, have quite a few, not interested in modern clocks too often. I do my best to fix clocks up, although I'm not good at restoring case damage etc!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Chris, letting the springs down like that won't work unless you restrain them. As Bang suggested, tying them up with some suitable wire will keep them under control. Does sound like you will need some bushing work.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Christopher Isaac

I'm not familiar with brushing, sorry. What's brushing? I'm really good with clocks, but I dont know what brushing is (how embarrasing)... Is it brushing the teeth or straightening out the wheels? chris

Chris,

Not brushing------BUSHING. If you are familiar with clockwork as you say--then you know bushing--don't you?

Christopher Isaac

Ive been doing this for 10 years or so as a hobby. I know clock parts etc. I dont know what bushing is. I've probably done it before, but I have no idea what it is! oops

Christopher Isaac

ok i am sorry, i know what that is now thanks for a little google research. Im going to take it to pieces again anyway, see what i might be able to do. its stressing me out! everyhour it stops for 10mins etc

Christopher Isaac

Wow there is a lot of topics on these korean clock movement. its awful, the centre hole must need to be hammered. theyre so cheap its just worn away i cant believe how poor that is. im not happy! im going to take it to pieces and hit the back plate with a hammer!

Blog Entries

Just my opinion, but i would not put much work into it.As you know it is not worth much.You could likely get a replacement Korean movement cheap and put it in.If it were my clock i would reolace the movement with a american or german movement like a Hermle.At leat it would increase the value of the clock.If the case is not too bad it could be a good project.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Christopher Isaac

I do have some old clock movements. I'm going to have to get them out and have a look! Hopefully the size's will be alright, this clock was a cheap project, bought it off ebay... Just randomly here is a clock im curretly bidding on via ebay, hope to restore if i can get it very cheaply http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10008314du.jpg

and here's a clock I'm currently selling on ebay its awful in desperate in need of throwing in the bin or someones help! http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?i...00627755yw.jpg

Christopher Isaac

Well after dismanteling my clock and hammering the plates with a large hammer... reassembling the clock, it works fine now, 12 hours good going, left's hope for more!