Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4208 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    jwdavis

Default Arnex Pocketwatch

I picked up this pocketwatch as part of a box lot at a local auction. I have little interest in keeping it as part of my collection, but if I decide to resell it, I would like to know a little more about it.

The dial reads Arnex, 17 jewels, Incabloc. The works, Arnex Time Co, Swiss Made, Seventeen Jewels, Unadjusted. There is no serial number.

Although it appears to be a hunter case, only the front cover is hinged. The back snaps off like an open face. Any information about these watches such as approximate date of manufacture, etc. would be very helpful. Thanks!
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5699&members=1

Jack Davis
    nawcc #0155192

jwdavis

Default Arnex Pocketwatch (RE: jwdavis)

I picked up this pocketwatch as part of a box lot at a local auction. I have little interest in keeping it as part of my collection, but if I decide to resell it, I would like to know a little more about it.

The dial reads Arnex, 17 jewels, Incabloc. The works, Arnex Time Co, Swiss Made, Seventeen Jewels, Unadjusted. There is no serial number.

Although it appears to be a hunter case, only the front cover is hinged. The back snaps off like an open face. Any information about these watches such as approximate date of manufacture, etc. would be very helpful. Thanks!
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5699&members=1

Jack Davis
    nawcc #0155192

Someone wrote about the Arnex company a while back. Soem think of Arnex as cheap swiss knock-off's. And many are. But I see a guy who loved watches. I have seen Arnexes of every ilk. Homages that are so perfect that sometimes (especailly on the solid gold enamels) you are temporarily fooled into thinking it is vintage! he made some amazing watches!

jwdavis

Jeff,
    Thanks for your reply. I did a search on Arnex that didn't reveal much information. I am still pretty new to collecting and do not know enough to tell whether this is a cheap, average or above average watch.

I seem to recall some reference on the boards to incabloc technology. Am I correct in recalling that it refered to a watch as shock resistant and that the technology is fairly recent...post WW2? That would help somewhat in determing approximate age.

Jack

jwdavis

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call and see what they can tell me.

Jack

I can remember seeing these watches for sale at Zayre's and K-Mart. They sold for about $9.99. Not much quality there.
    Brian C.

------------------
    Brian C.
    Chapter 149 Member

I have seen Arnex and other generic names on the "modern" mechanical pocket watches. They use the Unitas 16 ligne(6497 OF,6498 HC), and 18 ligne (431,445,6431,6445 the latter two have no balance srews).These movements have the incabloc design, solid balance wheels, some with or without balance screws (depending upon when made).As these are generic movements many names exist: Arnex,Camero, Colibri, Delawere, Delemont,Waltham , etc.In general these are good time keepers. The cases are RGP, stainless; however, most are plated over a base metal. The earlier models were of a higher quality than the newer ones, most which are made to look like RR watches.

[This message has been edited by sabphd (edited 09-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sabphd (edited 09-29-2002).]

Yep, but they made (or marketed) some solid gold enamels, some automatons, some repeaters, some 8-day watches etc.

Feel free to flame me, but I suggest that some day, maybe in the 2020's, certain Arnexes will be highly collectable.

I mean who would have guessed that Seiko's would be collectable?

Jeff Hess

Dacoda,
    Can you send me a scan of the movement? I may have a stem & crown for you.
    Brian C.

------------------
    Brian C.
    Chapter 149 Member

In April 2001, Lucien Piccard was at
    POB 190359
    Brooklyn NY 11291-0359
    718-491-8604
    f/x 718-491-8607

J Smith