Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1432 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Pete

Default Jules Jurgensen Serial Number Information

I have an old Jules Jurgensen Pocket Watch and I've been trying to get information on the watch. I've called the company but don't seem to get much response. The serial no. of the watch is 8939 and I'm trying to get the approximate age and value. It would be great if there was some reference book of all the watches they made, when they made them and what they are, but from what I can tell that doesn't exist. Anyone know where I can get any information?

Pete

Default Jules Jurgensen Serial Number Information (RE: Pete)

I have an old Jules Jurgensen Pocket Watch and I've been trying to get information on the watch. I've called the company but don't seem to get much response. The serial no. of the watch is 8939 and I'm trying to get the approximate age and value. It would be great if there was some reference book of all the watches they made, when they made them and what they are, but from what I can tell that doesn't exist. Anyone know where I can get any information?

Here is a link to a posting by Don Dawes who is one of the leading Jurgensen Authorities.

old ref ::Jurgensen Thread

We don't do values here but you can get a starting point in Shugart's book.

Value depends on casing originality and condition. Jurgensens usually come in extravigantly signed cases but as Don has told me the rule with Jurensen is that there are no ruels.

The basic food chain is movements, recased, recased well, cased in original gold cases, cased with original box, all of this and extra dial and mainspring, and all and papers too.

Bow set is good but some pin set variants are very fine too.

The serial number is a fairly early Jules Jurgenson probably late 1850's to late 1860's.

Charles Isham

Dr Jon,

The link does not work.

Sorry about that. I was looking for a Jurgenson site I saw a year os so agao via Google and it brought me back to a thread on this board. If you do a seach for Jurgensen and, or, Dawes you should get to the thread.

From my notes, the watch would date around 1860 +/-, in agreement with Dr. Jon. At that date, this is almost certainly a key wind. From this period it could be either gilt or nickel finish on the movement. The escapement could be either a long lever, short lever, or a detent. Pictures would help a lot. In any event, you want to keep fingers and tools out of it, and not fingerprint the movement. If it has a detent escapement, you want to be more careful who services it.
    An original case would be of heavy 18K gold construction, and pretty clearly marked. The watch claims to be from Copenhagen, the family origin, but is really from LeLocle, Switzerland, where Jules Jurgensen lived and married. These were very well made and expensive watches, which were popular in America. Jurgensen understood branding and image, building reputation on top of fine quality.
    Mike

Default Re: Jules Jurgensen Serial Number Information (RE: Pete)

i am looking for info on a JJ pocketwatch hunter 18k ser#9997 marked copenhagen can you tell me the year or direct me to info
    thanks joe

Default Re: Jules Jurgensen Serial Number Information (RE: pellco)

Pete: might do better listing this under European category. I just got accurate dating there on 14204 serial. If you see my thread there, you will see how hard it is to get accurate dating on these. I expect mch is about right.